FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22
FPV Aerobat - PA KatanaMD

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK I am not at all an expert LOS pilot. But I fly FPV a lot and feel fairly skilled at it. Been doing mild aerobatics and scale FPV piloting a couple years now. But only with foamy trainer types and flying wings.

Trouble is the more you fly the more confident you get, the more you notice your current plane is lacking the oomph and the response you desire.

Now the LOS guys I fly with are keen on aerobatics, like at most clubs and fields. They have let me pilot their aerobatic planes, which are quite amazing machines. Unlimited vertical, instant response and ... excellent slow speed high alpha handling. Quite unlike FPV foamies and trainers.

So they keep saying - Scott you gotta FPV one of these planes.

So now it will happen.

So I just assembled a Precision Aerobatics KatanaMD. a 46 inch 1Kg AUW marvel of modern RC tech, ply balsa and carbon fibre. Now I am deciding exactly how to build in the FPV components, so teh plane is balanced. Unfortunately that means adding another 200g to the plane for the FPV I have chosen. Not sure what the outcome of that weight gain will be. This is a real floater in OEM form, and easy-ish to land normally.

I have a RVOSD kit on hand I was going to build into a UAV project that is sidelined for now. I want to try RVOSD in this aerobat for one reason: it has a unique artificial horizon, with pitch ladder built into the AHI like you see in modern fighter jet HuD. You see when we do aerobatics in FPV, we have limited peripheral view. Thus we lose spatial orientation when doing high alpha and vertical, loops - you know whenever the plane is pointed steeply upwards. The OSD pitch ladder/AHI will provide the angle of the plane and the pitch of the plane when all the video shows is blue sky.

So now I am just deciding where to place the fpv bits so she's balanced and good for RF (not attached to the plane yet). The FPV stuff adds close to another 200g. Pushes AUW to 1.2Kg. Might be too much, I dunno. should fly, but will it fly as gracefully as the oem plane? RVOSD, PZ0420 on P&T. 5.8 200mW Boscam. Frsky. Hitec servos. 600W motor 12x6 APC prop

bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Patrizio G.
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9x
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1
Re: FPV Aerobat - PA KatanaMD

Wow bcsaltchucker that is looking pretty cool.

patrizio_g is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: FPV Aerobat - PA KatanaMD

That's been on my "Do" list for some time now.
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
Been doing mild aerobatics and scale FPV piloting a couple years now. But only with foamy trainer types and flying wings.

Trouble is the more you fly the more confident you get, the more you notice your current plane is lacking the oomph and the response you desire.
Its funny you say that because that is my sentiments exactly. I have been feeling the call for low, close FPV aerobatics.

I have been thinking of doing it with my Pulse.

Its BIG and flies so smooth. Because of its size and power, maneuvers are big and graceful.
Keep us posted with your progress.
I'm sure you'll be seeing mine in FPV mode next summer
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.