Recommendation for a beginner. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22
Re: Recommendation for a beginner.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
Spend the $ on a Simulator.
When you get good with the sim, You'll have had enough time to save up a bit more for your first heli!
This, is the best solution! Buying those little micro heli's are a Waste of time and HUGE money pits. Simulator will teach you muscle memory !

Phoenix or Realflight..
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 3

Originally Posted by sandwichbeam View Post
Thanks, thats not actually a bad idea to build one from scratch. Haha
Also, I prefer the Mcpx because of its size, not too small but good size to play around in the basement or garage.

Other reason why I pick this is because I know that it will be hard for me in the beginning but I like to challenge myself.
I am also going to get the sim, but I'm more excited about the real heli. Haha

Another question, should I go ahead and invest on the Spektrum dxsi transmitter? I see some people here selling for $100, and I know that i would prefer that than the stock one.
Thanks in advance.
The nano CPX is better for indoors than an mcpx, I started on a CX2 then moved to an MCPX, however would have bought a nano CPX if it has been available at the time. I loved my mcpx and it saved me a huge amount of money, I flew over a soft grass field and just hit throttle hold before going in. You can just pick them up and start flying again. First you should learn orientations in the simulator, simulators are good but they definitely aren't the same as really flying.

the DX6i is a good place to start...

My wife has started to fly, I got her an MSR and she has been flying it indoors and enjoying it. This is a fixed pitch heli, small and very durable and will also teach you orientations but not much else. However it is a lot less frustrating to start out on than a nano CPX. If you do get the nano be sure to dial down your servo ranges when starting, will make it easier while you get used to it.

MSH Protos V2 700, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 380, T-Rex 250 Pro, Blade 180CFX, mCPX BL, nano CP S, F-16, 3DHS Edge 540, Spitfire Mk IX, 540QQ, F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Lucas
Radio of choice:
Futaba 4PK
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

When I started, just a few months ago, I got a Blade 120sr. Its a single rotor fix pitched heli, it was so easy to learn on and it can take a beating, and its within your budget! Along with the 120sr I would buy a simulator to practice on, I use the pheonix 5 simulator, I also bought a Dx5e transmitter but you can get one when you get the simulator if needed. All the best and welcome to the most expensive and frustrating hobby in the entire world. Good luck!

Droptek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: Marty F.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

DX6i - good choice, that radio will grow with you as you advance and get better.
Simulator - you will improve much quicker, can practice more and crashes don't require a trip to the hobby store.
You need a micro of some kind to get orientation practice and to have fun, whether it's a fixed pitch MSR or a little bigger 120SR. If you think you can handle a collective pitch get a Nano CPX, other then the motors die rather quickly in them or find a used MCPX that hasn't been abused to much. Whatever you get you will have to learn how to fix, that's half the fun with this hobby, tinkering.
Goblin 700 - Trex 500 PRO DFC- 300X - 180CFX - MCPX - Nano 3D QX, Assorted planks - 2 Nitro Savages - DX8 X 2
crashcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

When using the sim, turn on weather and turn it off get used to the heli moving on it's own it's good practice. Learn your 4 basics for hovering. Tail in side on's and nose in. Turning on weather will make this really hard but once you learn the muscle memory for each input to correct them you will be very happy!
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.