Nano CPX brushless upgrade - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Santino N

Total Props: 17
Nano CPX brushless upgrade

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For tight indoor spaces, there really is no better choice than the nano cpx from E-Flite.
It is a great little machine that takes real abuse and crashes very well usually with no damage.
There is one real drawback though... The stock motor is a conventional brushed setup. There is enough power to fly and it works well, however, it does not last very long before and has to be replaced quite often as the power just seemingly disappears. I've had some that were good for 50-100 flights or so and others that are dogs after as little as 20. They're not cheap either at I beleive around the $18 mark.

Last year I put in the aftermarket "mild brushless" setup on one of my nano's from Astroid designs. It's ok, but requires quite hefty mods to the frame to get it to work and needs a bit more timkering than the average guy would have patience for.

So finally a few weeks ago, E-Flite released their own "Factory" brushless upgrade package for about $50
it's an inrunner motor attached to a small esc that you tape onto the front of the mainboard. There is a wire harness that you plug into the motor port, and another that the main power plug goes into.
I can never leave things stock, so I right away took the esc out of the factory heatshrink to save a tiny bit of weight, and cut the wire harness off to direct solder the power wires to the mainboard to make it lighter and much cleaner.
It still adds a very small amount of weight over the factory setup, but it now balances really well and it flies quite good.
The stock batteries are not quite up to the task, but then again I treat my micro batteries like crap and don't care about storing them properly.
The Pulse or Gens-Ace 160 packs are amazing though and have soo much more power than the stock ones do, and are much cheaper as well. Pick up some of those and you will be amazed at the performance difference even on the stock setup.

Anyhow, I did a quick flight this morning before work in my basement to show what the little machine can do in a small room.
Sorry for the out of focus camera work, I just layed the phone on a shelf and the auto focus didnt seem to work right.

Team SAB Goblin, BK Servo, Rotorquest
Santino Nemi
snemi00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Santino N

Total Props: 17
Re: Nano CPX brushless upgrade

A few of the packs I had felt soft compared to the others I had when I was testing out the brushless upgrade. I picked up a couple of the Gens Ace 160mAh packs when I was at Rotorquest yesterday.
I always use the Gens Ace in my big machines and also in my 130x, but these weren't in at the time a while ago when I last got some packs for the Nano.
I was really shocked when I did my first flight, I actually texted Eugene at the store to let him know. Wow, the combination of the upgrade and some fresh packs really surprised me. I wasn't expecting any difference from the Pulse packs, and I guess I have just let them get soft by poor storage practises.
I am very meticulous about storage and care of my large lipos for the real machines, but with the micro stuff I really don't care much and they're cheap so I just keep them charged up and if I feel like flying I just grab them.

Anyhow, this video is in better focus. The machine really rips now. I'm going to go and try out my other Astroid Designs brushless mod micro later, but this is pretty amazing power and I'm more than happy.
Best $50 you can spend on the nano if you fly it often and its feeling tired.

Team SAB Goblin, BK Servo, Rotorquest
Santino Nemi
snemi00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.