Oil mixes for DLE 20 and RCGF 32 - opinons please! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7
Re: Oil mixes for DLE 20 and RCGF 32 - opinons please!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.

Last edited by Billpilotca; 02-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

I'm no expert (I only have 3 gasoline RC vehicles). My Bergen Intrepid (G26) takes 25-40:1 just like my RCGF 20, My lawnmower, DLE 30 take 32:1, my Husqvarna chainsaw and weedwhacker take 50:1.

I know that oil starvation is bad, and the only real upper limit to oil content is what the engine will actually burn until it fouls up the plug.

Result? Good quality, synthetic oil mixed @ 32:1; the minimum requirement for ALL of them.

Yes, some of them smoke a bit. None are spitting oil all over the place, none are fouling their plugs and none are blowing up.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate

Last edited by wymbly1971; 02-07-2014 at 02:57 PM.
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 24

Between this thread and others, that's the conclusion I'm coming to... 32:1 for everything.
RC Aviator, gas power proponent
MAAC 83386, Stetson Flyers, Ottawa ON Canada
grosbeak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

I am an aircraft mechanic with 58 years experience. I was a private pilot and ultra-light pilot and did a lot of work on ultralights and home built aircraft including engine overhaul. A lot of the engines I worked on had been using those 100 to 1 oils. The best synthetic oil was Bombardier snowmobile oil and one of the top mineral base oils was Penzoil two cycle air cooled engine oil. When you are mixing your fuel YOU MUS BE EXACT WITH THE QUANTITIES. If you put too much oil that will replace some of the gas and make the mixture leaner, also the mixture is thicker and will flow slower through the main jet and the reverse is so for less oil.
First always use the mixture that the manufacturer recommends.
If you change the oil mixture you must retune the engine.
If you use a mixture with less oil you take the chance of burning out the bearing on the big end of the conrod.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

I had been running 50-1 Stihl ultra in my DLE55. Long story short it was one of the first and blew the needle bearing on the bottom end. Even though the engine was over a year off warranty DLE fixed my Engine. Sent it to Johnny at Azure hobbies and they fixed me up. Johnny found my bearings dry and slightly discolored from heat. Lots of hovering and hard work but dry bearings???
I now run the stihl 32-1 in all my engines for the added protection. If it's tuned right you won't have much smoke or mess under the plane. Mine don't and I'm on the 3rd year with the same plug on that engine and it still looks good to go a 4th.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.