|02-23-2014, 06:32 PM||#1|
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James J
Join Date: Sep 2012
Radio of choice:
AIRtronics 2.4/JR 2.4g
# of RCs: 10
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Total Props: 0
Looking for Balsa sheeting and Phenolic tube???
Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey every one , I have been informed that I will be doing some custom foam wings from a buddy of mine., All i have to do is find the balsa for sheeting the wing and the tube. Where am I do find this and where am i to stay away from. (this is where Brad chimes in)
|02-23-2014, 10:39 PM||#2|
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Nick Milligan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Feedback: 54 / 100%
Total Props: 9
Re: Looking for Balsa sheeting and Phenolic tube???
I can't help you with sheating, but the sheath is pretty easy to come buy.
Making your own is really quite easy.
1) get some carnuba autobody wax and put a coat on the tube. buff it shinny
2) apply a layer of monokote with 1/2" of overlap. I like ot use a 3" strip and spiral it like a paper tube.
30 wax the monokote just like the tube.
4) on a sheet of plastic covering your work bench, wet out enough 2 oz fibreglass to wrap the tube 3 times. As it can be tough to remove, only do about 3/4 of the tube's length - twice.
5) use a squeegee and paper towels to dry out the fiberglass as best you can
6) lay the covered and waxed tub on the glass and roll it up, over and over, pressing hard to make it tighter and tighter.
7) Starting from one end, tightly wrap electrical tape to act as a clamp. try to apply the tape in the same direction as the glass was wrapped.
wait till the resin is firm before removing the tape and pulling the tube out. If you wait till it is fully cured, be prepared for an arm wrestle
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|