Getting your kids into the hobby... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Re: Getting your kids into the hobby...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
About 40 years ago, I flew u-control. I built some small .049 kits for a Cox BabyBee My kids and I and some 5-minute epoxy could go over to the school yard and fly. We wore out several planes (but that Cox kept running)! They all achieved the goal of three complete flights which entitled them to the title of "pilot" and seemed pleased with themselves. We moved up to some larger planes, but the consequences of mistakes was too much for them. 30 years later one of the six kids called me up and said he was going to learn to fly RC. He did. Now he flys big gas RC models, electric helicopters, and recently began flying large electric-powered u-control stunt planes. So what did I do "right" with this one? Absolutely nothing different than the others. It all seems to have to do with what interests them, not the parent. I also took them fishing, and now 3 of them still go fishing with me when they get a chance. I also took them all over the country on camping vacations. One of them walked out of the Houston NASA facility and said she wanted to work for NASA. (She was 11.) She has had a long career as an aeronautical engineer with NASA. Spend time with them. Let them see a variety of things that might interest them. Who knows what the future may bring? Good luck, Dzl (Sorry this was so long.)
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
RCC Apprentice
I am: Matt T
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis
# of RCs: ??

I wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. You have shed some light on something that i had questioned for a long time. its interesting to hear stories and situations described by others that have gon through it, and you have changed the way i see the situation.

My dad always pushed me to play hockey when i was younger. I did enjoy it, but was never very competative. i enjoyed going out and having fun. sometimes i wondered though if i was playing for him or me. It will be a tough thing to do but maybe i need to just sit back and wait to see if he takes an interest in it.

you guys have definately changes my expectations about it. i wanted to find a way to "make sure i can get him into it" but maybe i just need to make it available and cross my fingers.

thanks again to everyone for replying. your help has been greatly appreciated.
Forced_Induction is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
sparky 29
RCC Apprentice
I am: Brent L
Radio of choice:
spectrum dx9
# of RCs: 12

i just put them on the buddy box and let them throw the sticks around, my younger two think it awesome. my two older ones can fly just not takeoff or landing yet still on the buddy box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	284073   Click image for larger version

Name:	025 (3).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	284081   Click image for larger version

Name:	014 (3).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	284089  
sparky 29 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 AM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 10

I have kinda a vice versa story.

So my dad was into RC for years and fell out of it when I was probably around 5-6 years old, maybe even younger. He use to have a spare room in an apartment he lived in just for cars, planes, boats, helis, you name it. If it was rc, he had it. He did get me into rockets back in the day and a bunch of those old nikko and like branded rc cars we use to be able to buy from Walmart and such. But I guess it never went any further because he didn't really own any hobby grade rc stuff after I was born.

Then when I was about 12, we spent a winter building a u-control plane after he bought me everything I needed to get into for a xmas. Didn't take me no convinces to get into it, I was stoked. Come springtime, we go to the field so my dad could show me how to use it he took the handle and maybe a 1/4 of a circle she went before eating dirt hard lolol. Promised me, "don't worry we'll go home and rebuild it, don't be upset, it'll be fine." Well that was a crock haha cuz I built the 2nd one he bought me just last year, after it was sitting around for 10 years.

I'm 27 now, so speed ahead 25ish years later. Me and a few friends purchased some of those convenience store coaxial infared helis a few years ago. My dad happened to stop into my place a few days later. My friends and I were flying the helis around in the living room when he walked in. It took about 30 seconds, and with a look on his face like a kid eating ice cream, he says "Where the heck did you guys get those". Needless to say, he left my place and went directly to where we bought them and got one hahaha. So a 2-3 weeks of screwing aroung with these co-axials in the house and we were both hooked!! Went out to the flea market (bigginer mistake haha) and we both dropped $300 bills each on walkera uflys's. Mine lasted about 45 seconds while my dad's lasted about 5-10 seconds lol (fully pilot error) and we were back to the flea market lol.

We never looked back from there and now 4 years later between us we own 250's, 450's, 500's, and 600's ). I also got into planes. Funny thing too is my dad flew for 20 years and apparently it's not like riding a bike he says hahaha. Soo much stuff has changed in 25 years since he was into this, all the technologie into everything these days is a little overwhelming for the old timers' late to the party who didn't think they would ever have any use for this technologie crap haha. My dad just learned how to use a computer within the last 2 years lol and still only knows minimal, and now he's looking at you like your joking when you tell him you need to plug in a laptop to a heli to program it. Yes oh how things have changed haha.

I hopped right into the 3d aspect with the planes and helis where as he's been struggling and taking a while to grasp hovering and moving around normally, I pushed him to go scale with it which is what he's doing now. Think it will be easier for him, at this point he's happy to have a successful flight over tossing and flipping the thing around lol. He blames it on video games as most father's would I'm sure, but I seemed to catch on quick, and by the end of my first summer with the collective pitch heli, and I was thrashing her around. Getting compliments from club members who were shocked it was my first year.

Anyways the point of the story was I pretty much got him back into it after leaving it behind 25 years ago. So it can go both ways . He looks to me now to help him with a lot of the RC stuff as our generation is very technology savvy lol. The once master becomes the student lol. We have a blast together, I love being able to help him while it brings us together, he enjoys my help and seeing me excel in the hobby so we make a good team

If I've taken anything from this, it is. At those ages we need help. Having my dad surprise me for xmas with all the u-control stuff was the only convincing I needed. Only problem was my dad never helped me rebuilt the plane, so at that age with no clue how to fix it myself, it just sat there in storage getting wrecked over the years from not being taking care of. Now I always rag on him about "man, just think how good I would be now if you had stuck with fixing that u-control plane back in the day and actually teaching me how to fly." I bet I'd be a bad ass pilot now if that were the
Spektrum DX9, DX4S-Realflight 7
Align 250 DFC,Mini Vbar, YEP 18, S306G HV's
Align 500L Dominator, Vbar Silverline, YEP 90LV, BK 5001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005. Switchblades
Blade 450x, every lynx/blade upgrade available--PARTING OUT(CHECK CLASSIFIEDS)
Techone Venus 3d, HK Clik and RC Foam Factory Click super-lite(still in box)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
RCC Contributor
I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1

Most of what everyone else says. Expose them to it but don't force. Of my two one is into it and the other has no interest. Maybe later as he is only 11 but loves building Lego and now wood robotics. My older guy is now 14 and got his wings at 12. He has been flying since he was 5 (see my avatar).

One thing I did do was get them some die cast planes. We went over to the local school yard when they were about 2 and ran around making ppttthhh... sounds!

One guy loves to ski and the other camping and going to comic book stores. They both love computer games which I can't be bothered with but their mom is into.

Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.