CF Tailsecton Apprentice S - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: spencer s

Total Props: 0
CF Tailsecton Apprentice S

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i bought a e-flight apprentice s last year and i have been very satisfied with the performance of the plane thus far aside from the lack of rigidity issues in the tail-section. such as not being able to get the screws tight enough, while using the rudder to extremes the elevator would move and vise versa. i did try to reinforce the vertical and horizontal stabilizers with cf. unfortunately it only resulted in weak points in the hinges and in the middle of the elevator. also only after about 30 min of flight still having issues with elevator flexing the rudder ect ect what do you expect from stiff foam hinges. none the less i thought about building a new tail section out of 2mm cf and bolting it together with nylon bolts. to allow a break point if things were to hit the fan. this is what i have drawn up i was going to cover it with a clear monokote or coverlight to fill the holes. any advice is greatly appreciated

not sure if the img worked but i made sure it was open to public view

fbid=10152034020626891&set=a.10152034020591891.107 3741827.574436890&type=3&theater[/IMG]
sjseely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5
Re: CF Tailsecton Apprentice S

Balsa might work too. Much less $. Maybe 1/8". I kind of forget what the Apprentice looked like exactly.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

I am only familiar with the Apprentice from reading about it as a trainer having several levels of built in electronic stabilization.......

you wrote " while using the rudder to extremes the elevator would move and vise versa."

Wouldn't the beginner and possibly intermediate mode of stabilization introduce some up elevator while doing a turn (with rudder and/or aileron inputs)...... although I am puzzled why any elevator input should, on a programmed basis, introduce any rudder movement.

ditto previous comment about a balsa and bit of plywood tail framework being cheaper/easier than and carbon fiber...... if the stab has a symmetrical or semi-symmetrical airfoil (not flat) you want to reproduce that as different center of gravities come with different stab airfoils.

People have used removeable tail structures for mobility reasons but not typically for crash surviveability, unlike using rubber bands or nylon bolts on wings for both purposes. Trying to figure out the difference between size of nylon bolt sufficient to prevent the tail structure from flying off in flight but allowing the tail to break away in a crash landing would be difficult; even a single 4-40 nylon (and round toothpick size registration pin) has, according to an old parts catalog, a sheer strength of 48 pounds and a tensile strength of 60 pounds which perhaps would still not break in crash landing).

If you don't get more responses on this forum, the U.S. rcgroups website has thread on this model with 264 pages of posts.

good luck,

michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
RCC Noob

I guess i should have been slightly more specific the tail section originally is flat 5mm foam covered in paper it isn't anything special

i wouldnt mind making the tail section out of balsa but. the horizontal stabilizer is 22 inches long. and i havent had much luck with balsa in any of my other projects. maybe i just dont know how to use it properly? idk

when i was saying " while using the rudder to extremes the elevator would move and vise versa." it isn't due to the flight controller moving them like a mix on your controler would. it is the force that the force due to the hinges being stiff and the way that it is put together.

it is but together only by having spikes on the vertical stabilizer. stuck through the horizontal stabilizer. so after about an hour of flight the holes in the horizontal stabilizer just get bigger wich causes it to move around in flight.

the plain was my first plain so it has been crashed. more because of stupidity than lack of skill (only because of the safe system). and the break of equipment was not due to the crashing it is due to the fact that i push the plane far beyond the flight envolope it was designed for

Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
RCC Noob
I am: Geff W

I also have an Apprentice, the earlier non "S" version, and I agree it is a very good model which flies extreamly well, 25 minutes on a 3300 MaH 3s LiPo.
But, ... my feeling is that it was never designed to last more than 1 season. I have run into similar problems with the tailplane. the cones that hold the tailplane to the rudder and fuse enlarge the holes over time and the tail plane can then move. My solution was Fabric Tac glue.
The triangular section that has the cooling holes in the bottom of the fuse dropped out, more Fabric Tac.
Land a little hard on the nose gear, rather than the mains and it will break off the nose. The break is in the foam, not the firewall. This has happened twice to me. More Fabric Tac!!
So all I can say is fix it quickly, enjoy it while you can. You will not be passing it on for someone else to fly.

All the best,

Geff is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
RCC Noob

i have tried to contact a few router companies but nobody seams to like to reply but that is no big worries i started a cnc router build a while back and hopefully this will be one of the first projects passed through it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.