Need help! Elevator snapped mid flight - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Jon K
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Need help! Elevator snapped mid flight

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey so yesterday was the maiden flight of my eflite piper pacer pa-20 and it went awesome the most stable plane I have ever flown with a great scale take off and probably my best landing yet I couldnt be happier! Until I put my second battery in take off was perfect again while flying a circuit thankfully right infront of the pit when it happened my elevator snapped and started fluttering rapidly causing my plane to do some pretty weird things the main one being it heading straight towards the ground I managed to recover and come in for a nice landing so the only damage being that elevator that broke mid flight.

This is my first balsa plane and I sort of have an idea on what to do for repairs please let me know if this will work or fail lol

I have removed the covering to see the damage underneath and the balsa cracked in 2 areas my plan is to use ca or epoxy on the cracks, recover the areas I cut and once thats back together a club member told me with such a big tail on this plane it should have the wire reinforcements seen on the full scale plane I plan on using guitar string for this (was thinking of using the D string if anyone here plays guitar lol) after these repairs and mods do you think it will hold up? Would you do something differently? also it looks like one of my hinges got slightly pulled out and I am unsure of how to repair this

Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_070619.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	361801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_071017.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	361809   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_071023.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	361817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_071110.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	361825  

Krawch is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: Need help! Elevator snapped mid flight

That is the horizontal stabilizer not the elevator. I would recommend you remove all the covering on the bottom of both stabs and reinforce with spruce strips. Clamp something dead flat to the top of the stab to keep it straight.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4
Re: Need help! Elevator snapped mid flight

Loose hinges: remove the covering on one surface at the hinge, drill a hole the diameter of a round toothpick thru the balsa, the hinge material and into the balsa on the other side of the hinge; glue in a small length of the round toothpick to "pin" or anchor the hinge into the balsa............ unless you really trust the quality of workmanship, consider doing the same on hinges of all the control surfaces.

What Kip said on strengthening the balsa front and rear spanwise members..... another material would be 1/16" plywood for the rear member and 1/32" ply - which will bend to follow the LE.

good luck,

michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.