Ikon Self Leveling - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #31
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 156
Re: Ikon Self Leveling

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I put 4 batteries through my model this morning and I am not happy.
It seems like a different bird.

First, its not as punchy as it used to be. Mind you, I haven't flown the heli at all since last fall, and during the downtime since then I had to replace the swash, servo arms, and i have a new radio and am still setting up. So all these changes at once may be part of the problem.

But I also have experienced some terrible oscillations, particularly when doing flips. The oscillations would slowly subside, but much to slowly for my liking- about 5 seconds. The oscillations were from the main head, not the tail.

So my first thought would be to change the PID presets. The preset instructions tells you to select the one based on blade size. My 450 uses 325mm blades, so I selected 325-380

Now the question is, should I try 300 or 430-480? I suppose I could test this through trial and error, but if anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you.

I also tested the bailout with rescue. I only did it from level position. It did pop up but it also oscillated a bit. Again, could be from the PID settings.

Will try again later once I get my batts charged and we get some nice weather (its raining now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IKON1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1054986  

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #32
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I put 4 batteries through my model this morning and I am not happy.
It seems like a different bird.

First, its not as punchy as it used to be. Mind you, I haven't flown the heli at all since last fall, and during the downtime since then I had to replace the swash, servo arms, and i have a new radio and am still setting up. So all these changes at once may be part of the problem.

But I also have experienced some terrible oscillations, particularly when doing flips. The oscillations would slowly subside, but much to slowly for my liking- about 5 seconds. The oscillations were from the main head, not the tail.

So my first thought would be to change the PID presets. The preset instructions tells you to select the one based on blade size. My 450 uses 325mm blades, so I selected 325-380

Now the question is, should I try 300 or 430-480? I suppose I could test this through trial and error, but if anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you.

I also tested the bailout with rescue. I only did it from level position. It did pop up but it also oscillated a bit. Again, could be from the PID settings.

Will try again later once I get my batts charged and we get some nice weather (its raining now)
Ah...Nevermind. I was playing with the setup tonight and I read the segment in the wizard pertaining to the "flying style menu" where you can see the flight modes. There is a slider for cyclic gain and the instructions on the right read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual
"Cyclic gain:
During the basic setup, the cyclic gain is set to a default value based on the model size selected (step 10). If, during flight, the helicopter shakes, try lowering the cyclic gain by 2-3% at a time until the shaking stops. If the helicopter feels soft and not ‘locked in’, try raising the cyclic gain by 2-3% at a time until the model has a ‘locked in’ feel."
Mine was preset to 31 so I dialed it down to 27 and will try it again tomorrow to see what its like.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #33
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Now were talking!

Flew great. No more bobbling. I also upped the flight mode to "Harcore3D" which gives an agility of 90, same as it shows on "3D" which I had prior. Now both modes show an agility of 90 but on my 3-way switch I programmed "3D" on one position and "Harcore3D" in the middle position (Bailout in 3'rd position) and I notice a difference between the 2. I guess the wizard only shows the simplified settings, there must be more adjustments being made in the background which I am guessing you can probably see in the advanced menu.

I tried the bailout a few more times and its good, but does translate forward quite a bit. Do I adjust that mechanically by shortening the linkage arm from the elevator to the swash (pulling the swash back)? or can it be dialed in using the software??

Old 09-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #34
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rick B
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Total Props: 0

Max, does the heli hold its position reasonably well in a hover? Before you tried the bailout feature where you upside or moving forward?
akabek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #35
tporter416
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Now were talking!

Flew great. No more bobbling. I also upped the flight mode to "Harcore3D" which gives an agility of 90, same as it shows on "3D" which I had prior. Now both modes show an agility of 90 but on my 3-way switch I programmed "3D" on one position and "Harcore3D" in the middle position (Bailout in 3'rd position) and I notice a difference between the 2. I guess the wizard only shows the simplified settings, there must be more adjustments being made in the background which I am guessing you can probably see in the advanced menu.

I tried the bailout a few more times and its good, but does translate forward quite a bit. Do I adjust that mechanically by shortening the linkage arm from the elevator to the swash (pulling the swash back)? or can it be dialed in using the software??
Max, the advanced menu has a ton of settings you can dial in that are not shown in the wizard. The ones I mainly play with are the rotational rates, depending on your skill level they limit the roll and rotate rates the heli will do.

As for the forward translation, they recommend you do it mechanically but you can adjust in SW on panel 7. I find it depends on the heli, my MSH has infinite adjustment servo horns and a swash plate leveler so I did it mechanically on that one. My Goblin does not, so I fine tuned it using panel 7. I find both fly fine with both methods, so up to you.

Is your bailout an extension of the flight mode? If possible they recommend using a separate channel and switch. I have 3 flight modes on both my heli's with ikon's, I use the internal governor so I have a flight mode for getting off the ground, then 2 more for the type of flight I want. I use another channel with my top left switch for rescue. This is the recommended setup...

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #36
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Hey Tom.

Thanks for the feedback.
I see the adjustment on panel 7 and I understand that the idea is to get the servo arm set up to exactly 90deg. So if my arm is 90, I don't want to use the +/- buttons to pull the elevator servo arm back to correct the forward translation. So it seems that the mechanical adjustment is what I will have to do.

My flight mode switches do not affect the flying style setup (panel 13) Like you say, I have flight modes on the front left switch (the default switch) and I put the flying style 3-way switch on the top left switch

Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #37
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Max, when you loaded the new firmware did you just setup the bailout or did you do a complete setup from start to finish?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #38
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabek View Post
Max, when you loaded the new firmware did you just setup the bailout or did you do a complete setup from start to finish?
I had to do the whole setup.

You have to upgrade the icon unit to the new firmware level to get the new features. when it does the upgrade, I believe it wipes out all your settings so you have to start new.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #39
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Thanks Max, that would makes sense to redo the setup.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #40
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Software version 3.0.006 is out!

I wanted to tweak my 450 with the Ikon in it this morning. I still get the odd bobble every now and again. Drives me nuts. When I started up the Ikon app, I got a message from the Ikon software that there was an upgrade required. So I did. I had to reset blade size, unit orientation and flying style setup. Then I put 4 batteries through it. No more bobble! (so far).

I love how this heli feels so locked in. I keep saying I will put this Ikon on my 3GX 550 but the Ikon makes this crap 450 fly so good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.