Exhaust Repair? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1
Exhaust Repair?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have 2 OS 4-stroke engines that suffer from the same problem. These are a 70 and a 40 engine.

Due to crunches (neither being a result of my flying, incidentally ... honest!), the exhaust header pipe broke the threaded area out of the cylinder head. This is obviously a weak point, combined with the stainless steel header and muffler providing a major lever arm in the event of any hard contact.

No one around here thinks that it is possible to repair this area, and I tend to agree.

On the one engine, I have used a combination of 20 gauge wire and JB weld to construct a repair but I doubt that it will work. JB is basically an epoxy-based mixture and will soften at exhaust temperatures.

Has anyone else been able to get this area built up by welding and then threading?
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
Re: Exhaust Repair?

With the price of glow engine now you would be better off picking up another engine or parts engine. Short of that just pick up a new cylinder.

Repairs can be done but always look like sh!t.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

The way the OP explained the situation you just know its gonna be asked, what happened?
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gary

Total Props: 0

you can repair it yourself if you care to spend the time, there are aluminum welding rods availiable, Canadian tire or Princess auto carry them. will melt with a propane torch. it does take alot of heat and it has to be super clean, a trick that seems to help as well is to give it a final scrub with a brass wire brush... anyways, I have repaired quite a few, even made pitts mufflers from aluminum. holds together very well. Just have to dissasemble the engine and make sure it is clean, then get it hot enough, the aluminum weld will flow like solder. I usually keep a flat screw driver handy to move the molten aluminum out of fins and up where I want it. you can leave the header in place and flow the aluminum around it but I prefer not to and bought a bunch of metric taps to retap it afterwards. of course there will be lots of naysayers out there, most will call anything down they haven't tried, this will be the same. Much cheaper then buying a new head. works fine. oh ya, last one I did was a OS 70. so don't tell me it can't be done.
gkm41 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Be careful Garry - I foresee a flood of broke heads in your mailbox! Good on you for trying and succeeding!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

J.B. Weld disintegrates at 600 deg. F
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

Originally Posted by tommy View Post
J.B. Weld disintegrates at 600 deg. F
OK; and what is the temperature of an engine Exhaust?
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.