Getting Started in Racing or Aerobatics - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Getting Started in Racing or Aerobatics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Everyone,

I am coming back into the hobby and have a couple questions; first, how good of a pilot do I have to be to race or compete in aerobatics? And how do I learn to do either? And another question, can I fly electric in either of these? Sorry, guess that's 3 questions!

Thanks for your time

cncarinspector is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30
Re: Getting Started in Racing or Aerobatics

I think the first step to getting involved in either discipline is to go out and find the guys who are competing in your area. There are beginner classes in racing and aerobatics. In scale aerobatics, the "Basic" class involves pretty straight forward maneuvers such as rolls, loops, half Cubans and stall turns etc. If you can safely fly these types of maneuvers you are ready to start scale aerobatics or precision aerobatics. Find somebody in you area and start asking questions . You will generally find guys to be very happy to explain the basics of what they are doing and willing to help a newcomer along! I'm not sure how far away you are from Brent Secord (in Sask.) but he has been getting started in IMAC style flying out there.
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

I'm still stoked on IMAC, not so much on my ability to make it look "Smooth"!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Cory Paine
Radio of choice:

there is a strong group of Racers in Calgary
they might be able to help you out, to get into racing
M.A.A.C. #26951
cpaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Why not try the Great Canadian Aerobatic Challenge put on by MAAC? Look on the MAAC website and click on the banner where you'll find the entire series from weeks one to eleven. It's in the scale aerobatics forum under committee documents. If you need more help send me an email at
MAAC 9551L-IMAC 3705
Former SA Chairman
Team Great Hobbies
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kevin M
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

Re: Pylon,

I have been flying RC for over 30 years, Pylon for 20 of those years. If you like friendly competition and get a charge out of flying fast, organized racing is a good thing to try out.

To get started in Pylon racing you will need to be a competent flyer, be able to do the most basic manoeuvres. Racing an airplane around 3 poles is not difficult, many start by flying a wide and high course, as you improve they get tighter to the poles and lower. The Pylon community is very eager to help new pilots.

Electric Pylon (EF1, Electric Formula One) is a place to start although limited numbers of events. Q500 planes are simple but faster with many events. EF1 speeds are about 150KPH, Q500 speed is about 200KPH. Once you get good then Q40 is the ultimate at 300KPH

I see you are in Saskatoon. Jeff Martin, president of the Canadian Prairie Pylon Racing Association (CPPRA) lives in Saskatoon and would be keen on helping to intro you to Pylon. If you want to look in the CPPRA web site there may be contact information or PM me I can forward your note to Jeff.

Kevin M.

Last edited by kaptain; 09-13-2014 at 07:44 AM.
kaptain is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

Ron, I would be happy to help you with pylon racing! You can go to the CPPRA (Canadian Prairie Pylon Racing Association) website for my contact info.
Jeff Martin
CPPRA President
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darth
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

If you are a solid, competant pilot who flies where he wants the plane to go as opposed to boring holes in the sky, you have the basics needed for either event. Electrics are allowed to the best of my knowledge, but may be separate classes. Reading the FAQs on the organizations' websites is a start plus reading books and articles is also a good start.

However, nothing teaches like experience. Find someone in your club (yes, a big assumption on my part) and pick their brains. If asked nicely, they probably will work with you on getting in some practice flights and teaching you the basics.

Aerobatics is an easy extension to basic flying and would be a good starting point. Being able to do aerobatics teaches you to put the plane in a particular attitude at a particular point in the sky at a particular speed, and do it repeatedly. Doesn't have to be the fancy things, basics are loops, rolls, split-Ses, stall-turns.

If you decide to get serious about racing, these skills will help you to fly the race pattern. It's not all bank-and-yank, but making the plane track consistently, reacting to all changes without really thinking about them.

Go for it! Beats the heck out of doing circuits and landing approaches all day long.
strikemaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.