H9 30cc Spitfire & FG36 Saito - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

I am: Roger S
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
H9 30cc Spitfire & FG36 Saito

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a FG36 that needed a home so I installed it in the new H9 Spitfire. Due to the length of the FG36 on its factory mount, I had to move the engine cowl forward 2.54cm (1 inch) which left the top hatch 6mm gap visable. To hide the 6mm gap, I made a hatch shroud to hide the gap. The shroud does not interfer with the hatch during removal or installation

Since the FG36 is installed 2.54cm (1 inch) forward of the recommended location for the other recommended engines, it should allow for less dead weight to be added to the nose to achieve the recommended C of G

The FG36 does protrude further below the engine cowl then the recommended FG30, but that is OK and acceptable to me. You will not notice how far the FG20 protudes below the engine cowl while in flight I am waiting for the E-flite retracts to arrive then I'll be able to see how much dead weight I need to add to achieve the recommended C of G location

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch Shroud, H9 30CC Spitfire 001.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	767.7 KB
ID:	394354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch Shroud, H9 30CC Spitfire 002.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	766.3 KB
ID:	394362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch Shroud, H9 30CC Spitfire 003.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	758.9 KB
ID:	394370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch Shroud, H9 30CC Spitfire 004.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	756.6 KB
ID:	394378  

ForcesR is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: H9 30cc Spitfire & FG36 Saito

Just bought a set of E-flite retracts for my Dave Platt 1/5th Spit, you'll love the machining. Only issue with installing into the Platt wing is that the gear sit parallel to eachother, rather than angling outwards, so stance is narrower than it should be. We have a TF Spit in our club, same issues. If only the designers of kits and gear would look at a pic of a real Spit!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Finally finished with the assembly of my H9 30cc Spitfire with a FG36cc Saito installed. To achieve the recommended 4 3/4" C of G, I had to add a little more dead weight to the nose than what I expected. I had calculated that it would take 14ozs but it actually took 18ozs (510.2gms) From what I remember reading, others had to add 32ozs+ to achieve the recommended C of G. I am very satisfied with the assembly and cannot wait for spring to arrive to do the maiden

Roger
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 31

Looks great! Good luck on the maiden flight.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
cf100
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 14

Looks FANTASTIC, update us with your maiden flight! cheers!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

(Changed the C of G from 4 3/4" to 5", moved the batteries etc. It took 19oz to achieve the 5" C of G; AUW is now 19lbs 3 oz. This weight is nothing compared to a fellow flyer in the club who has the H9 Spitfire that is electric and it weights 22.5lbs. Hopefully I can get the maiden flight done this coming weekend).

Roger

I rechecked the CoG today using my new VicRC-CG'er Stand instead of the Great Planes CoG machine. The GP machine indicted I had to add 19oz of lead to achieve the 5" CoG, but the new VicRC-CG'er indicated I needed only 15oz to achieve the 5" CoG. That is a big difference 4oz of lead removed from the nose. I did the CoG test 3 times to confirm how accurate my findings were and I trust the VicRC-CG'er over the GP CoG machine. I am glad to say that the AUW of my H9 Spitfire is now only 18lbs 15oz, Yahoo!!

Roger
Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
cf100
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 14

Good luck on your maiden! On my 3Spitfires, Dynaflite, Platt, Yellow, I had to add nose weight after the maidens as they were really sensitive and hairey in pitch being a hair tail heavy. I also use the minimum elev throw for landing as too much up in the flare can really get a Spit porposing. Cheers. Ken k.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

This maybe of interest for those who use a seperate battery for the E-flite retracts. I left the seperate retract battery connected to the electronic control board while the Spit was stored on the rack. When I checked over the plane before loading it on the truck to take to the flying field, I noticed that the retract Life battery looked puffy. I removed it from the aircraft to check the charge and found that each cell was below 2 volts. The 2200mah Life battery is now usless/ruined, it cannot be recharged. Apparently the electronic control board will draw power from the battery when left connected unless you have an on off switch placed between the battery and control board

Roger
Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

I finally achieved the maiden flight today, including several follow on flights. The Spitfire only required 1 click of nose up elevator with no aileron trim needed. When flaps were deployed there was no pitch up or pitch down at all. The FG-36cc Saito has plenty of power and is a good match for the airframe. I removed another 1.5ozs of lead from the nose, my CG is now 5 & 1/16" (129mm) from the leading edge of the wing. She flys perfectly at this CG, and that's where I will leave it. The total amount of dead weight I now have at the nose is 13.5ozs, the AUW of the Spitfire before fuel is added is now 18lbs 13.5 ozs.

Doing scale take offs is easy with a little right rudder applied as power is increased, it had no tendancy to want to nose over on take off or landing. On landing it rolled straight as long as one keeps on the rudder until the tail wheel settles on the ground. I will fine tune the FG-36 as I get more flights in, it seems to be slightly rich as indicated during the follow on flights today. I am one happy H9 30cc Spitfire owner.

Roger

Last edited by ForcesR; 09-08-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: CoG mm value
Old 09-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
flyinmalak
RCC Noob

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7S
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1

Congrats on the successful maiden and subsequent flights Roger. I have the FG36 for my H9 Spit as well so this information is very interesting to me. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

flyinmalak is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.