Wrapping flex headers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gary R.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5
Wrapping flex headers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Folks:

I have an MTW flex header setup which is lasting quite well, from all the other failures I see with some other header types. I'd like to keep that going!

Big question: WHY do we wrap the flex section with teflon tape? I assume vibration absorption and some level of mechanical support if a crack develops.

BUT my teflon tape wraps simply disintegrate after a few hours of running. This latest one lasted about 6 hours. It was a full roll of PTFE pipe tape from CTC, and it stayed on just fine...it simply burned away slowly.

How long should the wraps last? Is there a better material? I have tried an over-wrap of Fusion tape as well, and while it certainly does create a great leathery support once it's heat cycled, this wrap too is failing fairly quickly.

I'm sure heat is the culprit. But is there really any solution to the short life?
garyr1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: ED E
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 12
Re: Wrapping flex headers

I'm not sure but the ctc stuff is crap try masters pink
In industry that cheapy stuff sucks
Honestly I would like to know why it's wrapped?
if I could save time in a bottle
Ed like shiny
blah blah
FUTABA 14MZ /18 mz

machzx is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 58

Especially if running smoke or when the engine is rich the flex will leak a bit. I usually wrap it for the break-in sequence until I have it leaned out. I then don't re-wrap it after that unless it still leaks oil...I've seen some leak forever regardless of how broken in/leaned out they are - guess I've just been lucky so far so I don't bother re-wrapping.

If I run smoke I first work in some Honda-Bond 4 (also called "The Right Stuff", sold at CTC) by hand into the flex and then wrap with tin foil and then wrap with Teflon... Learned this trick from Wingburner a while ago and it works awesome!!

I agree with Ed.. The white Teflon plumbers tape from CTC sucks. The pink or yellowish stuff is waay better. I get it from a Home Depot in the Gas Fitting section.

Visit my website:www.bbtbuildservices.blogspot.com

Sponsored By:
ThunderBolt R/C www.thunderboltrc.com
Hot Wire Foam Factory www.hotwirefoamfactory.com/
B&E Graphix http://www.bandegraphix.com/
Carden Aircraft www.carden-aircraft.com
AirMan Wheels www.airmanwheels.com/
Pro R/C www.pro-rc.ca/
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gary R.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5

A-Ha! Many thanks guys.
I knew something wasn't right.

I'll go get the real stuff.
garyr1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.