2.4 antenna extension - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22
Re: 2.4 antenna extension

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by easygoingMBA View Post
Your towns namesake. Don't ask why I built her in particular but I liked that she still had her 1960's charm by not being lifted and modernized. Supposed to be retired in 2016, but the way BC ferries ticket counts were this summer you will probably see her for another decade, heck she is only 51 years old now....
51 years old and paid for 50 years ago, it's probably pure profit right now. OH they will probably jack the ticket prices up soon too AGAIN !
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
RCC Noob
I am: Sean L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: 2.4 antenna extension

Problem solved - I think I will post a new post with pictures on how to successfully get the antenna where you want it. I now have 1.8 km range on the end of a 4 foot coax

Remove the stock antenna at the solder points in the RX. stripping the end is difficult as it is tiny stuff. test fit it into place on the RX board. temporarily reassemble the rx without the antenna and drill out the hole to the same size as the coax. take it apart again and CAREFULLY solder it into place. it into the RX I used a 4 foot length SMA coax.

At the end that acts as an antenna, I was going to use the antenna off the RX but inadvertently destroyed it. having no other option I created the aerial from the coax. cutting apart my 9X RX unit I found it was made by cutting back the coax shield and leaving the center core (with the plastic shield) open. then they expose just enough of the outer shielding to slip a brass tub over and solder it to make a skirt that seals of any interference. I used 1/8 inside brass tube that fit with little clearance over the coax. Line it up with the exposed shielding - don't let the shielding stick out, it has to be level with the tube. Then solder the tube and shielding all the way around. I thought it would melt the plastic on the exposed pigtail but it will not.

Now the important part: don't try and get the length of the pigtail past the solder right before soldering, just make it long. Once it is soldered then trim it by comparing it to the one that came off. Keep trimming until they are the same.

That is it, like I said I will post pictures shortly on a new thread
easygoingMBA is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.