Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Nicad Collecting

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have eight old AM radio sets they date back from 1970 to 1980 something. One is a Futaba with a transmitter that takes modules. So I acquired several FM modules and it works great. I went through six of them and ended up with seven dead cells, two of which were showing signs of leakage and five were just dead. Most of these were from transmitter packs. The first picture is the serviceable battery packs I ended up with. The second picture is the dead batteries. The last picture is of the General Electric button cell pack out of the 1970 Kraft 4 mode 1. Last winter for five months it held a charge, as you can see several of the cells separated. All the other radios had replacement cells in them. Two of the square packs had no voltage reading and after replacing a cell in each they both came up to full charge. There does not seem to be any rime or reason why a cell starts to leak or just go dead and stay that way. I bought my first radio in 1964, it was made in Germany and came with twenty four Deac Nicad button cells in various size packs. I still have two cells left and they work fine. About five years ago I purchased a box 24 600 MAH nicads and after three years of use three of them were dead, one from leakage. So I guess the bottom line is regularly check your battery packs and either record or remember their state. I have several battery pack in the garage and they all maintained their full charge voltage over the winter. No matter how old the battery is if it will not hold it's charge for several months, take it apart and check the voltage on each cell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0001.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	425657   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0002.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	425665   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0003.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	821.9 KB
ID:	425673  

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wilf coggins
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7c Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Re: Nicad Collecting

Hi,I had a 3 channel proportional radio set in the late sixties,with DEAC's in the tx they blew up made a right mess of the tranny.Was charging them in our bedroom,was downstairs watching tv.when they blew/
uk.expat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Nicads can surprise you! About 1988 or so we had a customer come in the shop with an electronic dead weight gauge that had a poor NiCad pack. We ordered him a new one and I took the old one home. It had 2 dead cells but the rest seemed fine. I made glow starters out of 2 of them and used them for many years till they finally quit taking a charge. Last year I pulled the last one out of the drawer, soldered it up and voila! holding a charge just fine! After all these years sitting dead!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
# of RCs:

Total Props: 8

You mention that some of your cells seemed to go bad over the winter.

NiCd batteries contain electrolyte which is susceptible to freezing depending on the charge state of the battery. A fully charged NiCd cell is very hardy with a freeze rate somewhere around -70C... but a fully discharged NiCd cell may freeze at -10C.

If your batteries are outside during a cold snap they can be damaged in a few ways and weaker/highly discharged cells may split due to expansion.
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.