"Building" has changed over the years - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: "Building" has changed over the years

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would rather build, that's what the winter months are for. My first plane when I was about 13, a Sig Kadet JR, built with no CA glue, covered using dope and silk.

Similarly to JoeT, I bought a Sig Kobra along with everything needed to complete it on a Saturday, opened the box Sunday morning, had it in the air on Friday evening.

I prefer helicopter flying these days and love dumping out that box of parts and putting it together and making it fly. That's half the fun.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights will make an airplane.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

The actual act of creating a model airplane from wood to flight has not changed. It's the common use of the word build that has shifted to a new meaning:

old meaning

build (bild), verb, make by putting materials together; make structure; develop; form gradually; establish

now becomes

build (bild), verb, to open a box and add batteries

here is another

thong (thong), noun, narrow strip of leather; lash of a whip

now becomes

thong (thong), noun, article of clothing thrown into the crowd at a stripper bar; poor excuse of an undergarment, giving the wearer a permanent wedgie, and one heckuva plumber smile when wedged into too small trousers. Similar in appearance and appeal to the string on a pot roast.

then there is

The English language is an ever changing thing!!!

P.S. Woo hoo we could have fun with this eh?
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
FD av8r
RCC Contributor
I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 6

I mostly buy ARF's now, but I am glad I built dozens of planes years ago. The experience (good and bad) of kit and scratch building has taught me a lot about structure and setup so when I "upgrade" an ARF I do it with the knowledge that what I am doing will make for a better plane.

It also helps to do repairs knowing what to expect under the covering.

Dreaming of next summer.....
FD av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

We recently had a newcomer checking out our club, his first attempt at RC? Scratchbuilding an OV-10 Bronco! lol Didn't go so well. I always recommend that novice flyers take a shot at building over the winter, to learn about structure, how things are put together, and it gives some confidence that if they damage a plane, they can probably fix it. Just not a Bronco to start! We provide trainer aircraft at the club, so a new member's first build doesn't have to be a trainer, but still not a bad idea. I have more fun with my 8 foot Telemaster than just about any other aircraft in my fleet. Thank god for companies like Vailley Aviation, Ziroli, Dave Platt, that still sell plans and accessories, kits are getting fewer and fewer.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
RCC Noob
I am: Bill
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

An OV-10 Bronco looks rather complicated.... rather ambitious. If someone has experience building models, I might think they could do it though.

Sounds nice to have club trainers. How many do you guys cycle through a season from accidents?
billing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

Yeah, when I came back into r/c a year ago after a pause 22 years, my initial reaction to the model landscape was "this is weird" and a bit disheartened by the collapse of mainstay magazines such as RCM and relatively few full kits being produced.

But I've come around to a "let a thousand flowers bloom" perspective..... there seem to many more niches of different interests in the field and the presence of the internet and r/c forums means both help and showcasing a minority interest is just a few key strokes and, typically, a few hours away from a response from another enthusiast.

About traditional building from plans and/or kits being eclipsed by already almost assembled models........ I think enough of the people who are entering the hobby thru the ARF door, do, after several years, turn toward challenge of such building to keep this niche alive. Look at build thread on online forums such as scalemasters and other forums, threads with dozens, sometimes a hundred color photos, discussions of modifications of a kit or a plan...I think there is much more of this communication happening than 20 or 40 years ago.

I do miss the lack of a production made single stick transmitter (I know about boutique operations such as Radio South) and the limited range of shaped balsa leading edge stock, etc. but these are not unyielding obstacles if you have enough passion and resourcefulness.

Mervin... what is your opinion of making planes with paper backed foam board or coraplast(sp?)... is this not scratch building even though one poster on the SPAD pages uses the slogan "fold and fly".

Interesting thread.
Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #17
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

Even building methods and materials have changed over the years. I used to spend the winter building models from scratch using balsa and Ambroid, Silkspan and dope back in the 60s
With the materials today, foam and hotwire cutting, hotglue and CA, vacuforming, you could build the same model design, inside of a week.

Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Well... seeing as you asked Micheal...

Balsa, cedar, spruce, willow, pine, maple, oak, Styrofoam, corplast, bamboo, toothpicks, plastic drain spouts, paper, poster board, depron... whatever you can get your hands on is fair game in my books. From kits, from plans, modify an existing one or create your own, just make something that flies! It doesn't need to be pretty nor does it have to have outstanding performance, just let your fingers follow your imagination.

And share it with us please!

Break the mold, get out of the rut - we don't have to be lemmings. We can stretch our minds, develop our skill sets and maybe even pass some of it on to others.

And have a lot of good clean fun in the process!

Personally I can walk right past all the store bought bling at the flying field with hardly a glance but what catches my attention are the ones that have "my creation" written all over them. I HAVE to stop and ask...
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 10-01-2014 at 11:38 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

The hobby sure has changed as many have stated. Arfs have changed the landscape. I think the arf has done the hobby well, as many are now able to experience the joy of flight, normally they would not as they cannot build. I wonder though if we will see kit building come back? For those that get hooked and stay with the hobby the natural progression may be to try a kit now. Just my thoughts.
Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

I highly doubt kits will make a comeback. This summer I found a unique Bi-plane on Kijiji. Believe it or not, it was a ARC (Almost ready to Cover) model. A little research and I discovered that this particular model first came out as a kit, then a ARC, and finally an ARF. This was a popular plane back in the day, but all forms have been discontinued several years ago.

Lets think about how these ARFs came about. Lots of the answers have already been discussed, but there are a few more no one likes to talk about. Strip a busted up ARF. What will you find? IMO another reason for ARFs is that the manufacturer can build 'em with poor quality wood, cover 'em up and ship 'em out. Once the hook of the hobby is set, its difficult not to buy another plane.

My hobby bucks are limited. If/when I find a manufacturer that uses better quality wood, glue and design I'm more apt to stick with them. In todays business world, contracts seem to be short, often going to the lowest bidder. Who suffers, well it ain't the middle man....

One excuse often heard is that a lot of quality balsa is going to other uses. Particularly the wind turbine blade manufacturing. Who knows!

Of course this is just my opinion.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.