Drones over Sudbury, Ontario. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Re: Drones over Sudbury, Ontario.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Keith:

Lol, I'm quite familiar with that particular passage - I help put it there as a CARAC board member The intent was to lay the ground work now, for future BVLOS operations. I read recently (end July or beginning August?) that TC has approved BVLOS for the Canadian Centre for Unmanned Vehicle Systems (CCUVS), however, the airspace in which this was granted was a permanent piece of Restricted airspace. If I remember correctly the airspace somewhere just southeast from Lethbridge, Alberta. In this case the airspace is sterile, IOW no general aviation aircraft may fly into it except in the case of specific coordination, or during specific times, or under specific conditions (approval, if available, to fly into Restricted airspace varies from airspace to airspace).

I'm confident that TC will not approve BVLOS in General use airspace until there is some method by which a UAS operator can "see" and avoid full sized aviation, but, I could be wrong. If there's anyone out there who has TC BVLOS authority in General airspace, I love to hear about it.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3

I doubt the flight was illegal. If it was for fun, no SFOC is required! We as hobbyists can do as we please. About the only thing TC can get you on is CARS 602.45

"Model Aircraft, Kites and Model Rockets

602.45 No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety."

Seeings as TC cant even keep full scale aviation policed well, (the air taxi sector is, well.......there are companies I would never ever fly on) chances of them ever enforcing this is almost nill, unless you do something that attracts a lot of attention, and get found.
I believe the MAAC safety guidelines provide a good basis on how we should be operating our model aircraft, whether it be fixed wing, rotary wing, or multi-rotor, or FPV. Too bad these guidelines weren't more publicly know and accepted.

Our 'toys' can be very safe, and also very dangerous. Having people even know where that line is all but impossible. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. When an idiot flying an RC aircraft in a town/city/built up area hits an innocent person, we'll all be sure to hear about it.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Stephen D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Have to pass the link onto my Father...who worked for Inco for 32 years (retired now)...I can almost see his house in the video....
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.
sjd2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

I see the flight as unwise, rude and not something I would do. Probably not illegal, perhaps not even beyond VLOS.

Now in the US and even here the transport authorities are nervous about flying outside of VLOS. To outsiders (non FPVers) this seems sensible to not fly beyond VLOS .. until you think about it more. There are many kinds of beyond visual sight flying which are in fact perfectly fine and safe. I am talking about low flying, say in forests or through your own home. This is becoming very popular 'proximity' flying of mini quadcopters. I think that is a great direction to move our hobby: focused on flying for fun, wayyyy below any kind of aviation traffic, and not over other people's yards nor long range at all. But it is BVLOS flying (though you may be only 50 ft away). And tons of fun using machines that are far less dangerous than the 400+ size quads that are used for videography.

like this

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 10-10-2014 at 02:34 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.