Putting Together old V-Bottom Fiberglass boat-Need all info! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Jami
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Putting Together old V-Bottom Fiberglass boat-Need all info!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all, just got this off Craigslist cheap. Its 34" x 12".(Sorry, -American) I was looking at a simple motor, rudder, but its going to obviously run a couple hundred to get it going, as the old radio he had was 72 band.

Need any and all info:

1. Fiberglass top seam is unglued, what do I use to glue this up/fill?

2.Motor size? This is for trolling fishing line way out into open lake, not for speed. I was looking at the "Traxxas 1585 Titan Marine 550 Motor"

3. Prop/motor/shaft setup?

Could you just stick the prop out with non-flexible shaft? Where do you exit?

I was thinking I could just make my own motor mount. Ive seen 110mm rudders with shaft holder I was going to use (ebay, probably can't post link)

What is used to fill holes?
-I am making plywood/varnish deck hatches.
-Strobe/running lights?

Any and all info appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay 051.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	451689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay 052.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	451697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay 053.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	451705  

Last edited by boatman2; 10-20-2014 at 05:36 PM.
boatman2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mark P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3pl
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: Putting Together old V-Bottom Fiberglass boat-Need all info!

It seems your application for the rc boat may have most baffled suggestions wise lol! You've got a rc powerboat, but want to fish and go slow. I would look at offshoreelectrics and Kintecracing where mounts are cheap, and you can get a 3/16 flexshaft with a soldered on steel shaft, a stuffing tube with teflon liner that is long enough to stretch from the motor's position(based on the COG desired) down the inside of bottom of the boat where it'll exit about 1/8 of an inch off the bottom of the transom dead center, and then a few inches into a stinger drive (or a mono strut)that points the propeller at the selected angle and height. I like for your application an inline strut and rudder to get better turning at low speed and to protect the prop. You'd need a motor coupler that accepts your motor shaft and the 3/16 flexshaft, and a speed controller, brushless or brushed. funrcboats has brushed things, and finedesignsrc has good instructional aides somewhere on their site. My 33inch speed boat v's are using 40mm diameter brushless and 74mm long..4074, in the holes I use a finishing epoxy in many thin coats for strength also I've snipped up fiberglass cloth and applied it with epoxy aswell, and sand it level and paint. You can use that epoxy to varnish and protect the wood too, the wood absorbs it well.. if that helps any.

Last edited by Dreamer; 10-25-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added to it
Dreamer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.