What is your preference for a Transmitter Radio? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 14
Re: Transmitter Radio

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by billrutledge24 View Post
Here is a quick question for the more experienced members.
What is your preference as far as the brand of Radio?
Spektrum, Futaba, or Walkera or ???

Team Futaba
Team Thunder Power
Falcon Props
Team Great Hobbies
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

Originally Posted by billrutledge24 View Post
Here is a quick question for the more experienced members.
What is your preference as far as the brand of Radio?
Spektrum, Futaba, or Walkera or ???
Radios are so good these day, any of the above are great.

And so are Jeti, Hi Tec, Graupner, Multiplex and FrSky too. All of these brands will reliably fly everything from UMX craft to 1/2 scale planes. You need to specify your specific needs, because there can be notable differences for specialized users.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #23
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ricky S

Total Props: 0

I recently switched to FrSky myself as like the playing around with all the options of OpenTX. But its not for the faint of heart.
rmsingh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

I was given a brand new Hobby King 2.4GHz with 3 receivers. One of the 3 worked, then the transmitter started to fail!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

I have used Futaba, JR, Spektrum and Hitec...Have since gone Hitec for all the glow powered stuff and Spectrum for my lekkies. But I am considering going Hitec on all the electrics too so I can run just one brand exclusively.

Everyone will have their own personal reasons and preferance on what radio is the best. For me Hitec has worked out great and I see no need to change.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #26
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

You have many good choices these days. I use Jeti and love it. I love it so much that now I need a second jeti for my florida home as well.
The thing I love the most is the feel and the ease of telemetry use. Plug it in and activate what ever telemetry you want to use.

When I was at Toledo this year I spent an honest 5 hours investigating radios.

We stock jeti and graupner because they both seem easy to use and good value for the dollar.
Another radio that impresses me is the Futaba 18MZ. I went with the jeti because I think it is a little better at the telemetry thing and cheaper.
Canadian distributor for EME Engines, 3DHOBBYSHOP, GP ENGINES, PRO-FLOW 3D CANS, TDRC 20 AWG Servo Wires,
Also: Savox Servos, Hacker motors, Castle Creations, Falcon Props, SWB MFG, Smart-fly, 4titude Tanks
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #27
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7

As already stated the answer is based on individual preference and needs.

For me over 15 years Futaba is what I have used and continue to use. From 6 ch, to 9CAP, to 12Z, to 14MZ.

As a couple of the IMAC guys have already said, Futaba and JR still tend to dominate our user group. The stats from the IMAC Worlds were 40 Futaba, 33 JR, Hitec 2, Spectrum 13 and Airtonics 1.

Some of the pilots fly what they do because they are sponsored by that company and get the equipment for substantially reduced cost or perhaps no cost in some cases. However most of us are not sponsored and never will be, so we pay out of pocket whatever it costs. That being said no one will be flying a Spectrum 6 channel at this level, all will be high end radios (i.e. expensive) whatever the manufacturer.

I use Futaba because I am used to it and understand the programming language (mostly, although their manuals are awful). I will be the first to agree that the higher end Futaba radios are overpriced. That being said, if I win the lottery my next radio will be a Futaba 18MZ.

The Futaba advantage to me at the moment is "stick position" conditions which greatly assists with flying certain maneuvers in IMAC sequences. That is more important to me than telemetry at the moment. Not having to flip switches to trigger certain flight conditions is a big advantage in competition.

You need to assess what your needs are and what best addresses those needs. Like watching cars go down a highway and trying to figure out what is the best vehicle to buy. Lots of factors and variables, budget often being the primary driver.
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 3

Originally Posted by rmsingh View Post
I recently switched to FrSky myself as like the playing around with all the options of OpenTX. But its not for the faint of heart.
I have a friend who went this route, he stuck a DSMX module in the back. For the price this radio is well packed with features, 16 channels, voice, large display, $275+module, hard to beat. It does however look a bit hard to setup but the features surpass my DX9 which was more expensive...

Being an embedded programmer, would love the ability to customize the code as well, hard part is which models do you want to risk...
MSH Protos V2 700, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 380, T-Rex 250 Pro, Blade 180CFX, mCPX BL, nano CP S, F-16, 3DHS Edge 540, Spitfire Mk IX, 540QQ, F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #29
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 18

I know guys who look at my radio and say "OMG its so complicated!". But i look at it and say "WOW its so flexible and powerful!". And at the same time, I look at other TXs and say "how could anybody make something that awkward to configure?"

Its really about what works for you, more than what works best!

If your a manual reader, don't listen to any of us!!! Read some manuals and pick the tx that has the features you want/need and is the most intuitive to you!

If your not a manual reader, than pick what the guys at your club are flying, because that's where you are going to get the best support!
This hobby is a Slickness!
cravenjw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I own a DX7 and Dx8 both very good TX's my next radio will be DX18.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.