Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10
Charity and Ripped Off

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The subject of this thread is a bit misleading but was meant to get you here to read it.. All too many times I have seen threads about being ripped off and like the last one here there where over 20k views and I don't know how many posts..

All too much these days , people are to ready to read and comment on being ripped off..

But let something Good happen.. Nobody wants to know..

Here is the Story

A week or so ago I had placed an ad for " Engine Wanted.."

I got several replies from people offering very nice engines at a decent price. Then ,,, I got this Reply from a fellow modeller with a very different offer..

I have permission from Bill to post our PM's here in hopes that others would follow... And to those that offered me some very nice engines at a very good price.. I hope you understand now why I didn't take them..

In reading these PM's I would like you to know that Bill is not in Canada.. but rather he is in the United States..

Now I do not know what Bill's motive was with this deal.. I never asked.. I didn't really need to.. But it felt like the right thing to do..

Saw you want ad...

I have a used ST-90 motor with muffler that is bound up...think the nitro got to the bearings while it was hanging upside down. It was on a 1/4 scale Godfrey Laser 200 and had plenty of power when it ran.

I'd be willing to ship it to you for your use for nothing if you'd be willing to make a donation to a local food bank of your choice where you live.

Let me know

Hey Bill... thanks very much.. and for the effort.. My wife and I both agree that the donation is a nice idea.. But have you checked on the shipping... cost.. The cost of shipping between Canada and the US is getting crazy and it may cost too much..

regards Jeff

I soaked the front end of the motor in PBBlaster rust remover and lo and behold it now turns freely, with lots of compression.

I also found two mufflers and the prop washer and spinner washer to go along with the motor

I have the motor and parts all packaged up and ready to go to the USPS tomorrow so if all goes well you should see it by late next week.

I'll send a couple of pictures of everything if you'll send me your email address.

Hope you're happy with the deal

Shipped out the motor this morning...customs form# LC113071547US

I believe you can track it on the USPS site using this number

The cost to ship was a little less than $ contribution

Hope you enjoy it

check the thread where you found my ad.. you will see an adobe pdf file.. you can open this and this is my tax receipt for the donation.. I have included and extra 20 for the shipping.. so infact you also made a donation in a round about way..

Hope that this meets with your approval..

If you don't mind I would like to post our PM's in a thread.. prehaps it would encourage others to follow..

regards jeff

Thanks for making such a generous donation....I'm sure that the recipients appreciate it greatly.

I have no problems with you posting the pm's of our fact I would hope that more of our fellow RCer's would take the idea an run with it, as we are all very, very fortunate to be able to do what we do

I am sure that me and my skybolt will be happy.. she just does not fly well with an saito 65 four stroke..
And considering that we are coming into the silly season all to soon.. I think this was a grand idea..

I will keep in touch and let you know how it goes.. it may be next season before she will get up again..

regards jeff
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: Charity and Ripped Off

That's why I like this hobby, right there. It's fun to have the latest and greatest, but I get just as much joy helping others as I do flying my fancy planes. I've made offers in the past to people that have had bad deals go wrong (not between him and I). Just wanted to be a nice guy and offered to buy him a free plane from pro-rc. but he kindly refused and thanked me for the offer. I didn't take any offense to it and left it as a standing offer. He might have been to proud or didn't want to be labeled as a charity case. But I wanted to help and I respected his decision on the offer.
"Trout Farm Flyers"
North Star Laser And Vinyl Works
MAAC # 83720

bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: ED E
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 12

Man that is encouraging !!
Glad you posted
Not everyone is just in it for themselves !!
if I could save time in a bottle
Ed like shiny
blah blah
FUTABA 14MZ /18 mz

machzx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Similar story for me. I sent a guy a couple of pushrod tubes for an old fs 40 free of charge last week and tonight I get a PM from him stating that he is sending me an old Brownie Jr. ignition engine. Also free of charge. Wasn't expecting that but for the most part, there are tons of excellent people in this hobby and there always will be.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James J
Radio of choice:
AIRtronics 2.4/JR 2.4g
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Thats awesome .. Oh to familiar . I had a old set of Aritronics rx and servos. Posted for free just pay the shippign.. Well I got busy forgot and to the person wanting them that I would cover the cost of shipping and was so sorry but all I asked was he pay it forward..

Hope things work out with the new to you engine and please post pictures..

Minty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1

Not Modeller-to-Modeller, but I have a similar story to share.

I had an Iwata siphon feed airbrush that I wanted to convert to a top feed for smaller volumes of paint.

When I called Iwata in Portland Oregon and explained what I wanted to do the rep I spoke with informed me that the parts would cost almost as much as a whole new air brush.

The rep then floored me by offering to send me a used air brush from their inventory of ones used for teaching in-house. Completely free of charge, I didn't even have to pay the shipping.

I offered to pay, I didn't feel right taking the air brush for free. The rep kindly explained that they weren't set up to take my money, so I finally accepted.

So the air brush shows up and it's clean as a whistle and complete with original packaging. Suffice to say I was more than pleased with how I was treated.

So I decided to do something nice in return: I found a food bank in Portland that took PayPal and made a donation on behalf of Iwata, my small way of saying Thank You.

Earl "Narly1" Anderson
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
FD av8r
RCC Contributor
I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 6

There are so many awesome and generous modellers out there and I am lucky enough to have flown with many of them. Nice to hear the story of your engine deal, and I hope it inspires others to do similar things.

Dreaming of next summer.....
FD av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 8

I truly believe this is a WINNER thread!!!!

The title may be changed to some thing like, 'The Charity Thread' and get rid of the negativity, but awesome idea!

I recently had a fellow flyer just GIVE me an engine! It still feels surreal and I truly appreciate it!

Karma goes both ways, can be real good sometimes eh!!

Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ken
Radio of choice:
Jeti Duplex
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 7

Very inspiring story. Thank you for posting it.
Fly it like you rented it!!
Stealing is bad!
kclark069 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

There are far more decent modellers (and people in general) than there are bad people, but normally we only post or hear about the bad experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.