RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 10
Re: Rant about an RC club

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by sjd2 View Post
To bad I wasn't there....Id of sat next to "Gramps" and buried him with my bidding....just because....
HaHa, too funny, something I'd do
Spektrum DX9, DX4S-Realflight 7
Align 250 DFC,Mini Vbar, YEP 18, S306G HV's
Align 500L Dominator, Vbar Silverline, YEP 90LV, BK 5001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005. Switchblades
Blade 450x, every lynx/blade upgrade available--PARTING OUT(CHECK CLASSIFIEDS)
Techone Venus 3d, HK Clik and RC Foam Factory Click super-lite(still in box)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Stephen D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

I think you just met a bad apple. All of the different members, I've met from different clubs, have been very very nice...and loaded with info and tips....
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.
sjd2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Dude, put your big girl panties on and deal with it.

You sound like you had them all "judged" before you even got there. Jeez.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

Originally Posted by mwavesdave View Post
Sad to hear, I learned to fly at the ERCS, oh, say about38 years ago, and they were great, very welcoming of a kid. Thankfully, our club in Shearwater is known for it's welcoming nature, to all who wish to fly, socialize and have fun. Only thing we don't have patience for, is snobs. Hopefully there's a more welcoming and relaxed club in your area.
Your club isn't the most welcoming. I was at a fun fly last year at your club and most friendly people were the guys from other clubs. You didn't say 2 words to me.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason P
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 Green

Total Props: 5

Originally Posted by Pauld View Post
Dude, put your big girl panties on and deal with it.

You sound like you had them all "judged" before you even got there. Jeez.
Exactly what I was thinking...

All clubs have their people. Cluques form in clubs either from what you fly or just the personality you have.

I just sum it up to that's life in general.

Every club I've ever been to. Or any swap meet or event for that matter. I always meet new people and have great conversations with them. One of the things I love about our fine hobby is the social aspect of it.
Go Propless!
Jsp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

Know what you mean! But I handled it differently, When I got stared at I stared back a little ugly and when I got crowded I didn't move, in fact I became a bully also. It seemed to work, I did my buying and have never gone to an other since.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #17
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rick Z

Total Props: 0

hi Derrick
Sorry you felt that way

I'm the president of the ERCS club and put on the auction. as you stated it was open to anyone with RC interest's, after reading your post I pulled up the attendance records for the Auction we had 100 people register and of those only "34" were from our club, of those 34 16 were working the auction.
the rest were people from other clubs "Calgary, Cold lake, Lloyd, and other locations in Alberta. . Not to be defensive about our club I'm not sure how you could label us as a bad club, when the majority of the guys there were from different places.
Yes most of them know each other because of our common interest "RC"
We welcome everyone to our events and to join in,
our membership age ranges from 9 years old to I guess very old, so we're not an old boys club.
you should have stuck around and out bid the person that you had the confrontation with instead of leaving with a bad taste in your mouth. it also sounds like You brought a negative memory from the past with you to yesterdays auction which evolved into a negative for the present.

I'm proud to be a member and a representative of the ERCS club, we put these type of events on to bring everyone together to have fun and socialize, that's what our sport is all about

so I guess that's my "Rant about an RC club"

Rick Zap
ERCS Pres.

Last edited by rzapp; 11-09-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: not finished
rzapp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
RCC Noob
I am: Brad
Radio of choice:
Hitech Aurora
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0

You know, I've been to quite a few auctions (not just RC) in my life and a lot of the dirty and mean looks are nothing more than scare tactics to intimidate and discourage people from becoming interested in bidding on an item that the glarer is interested in himself. After all the intent of any bidder at an auction is to get what he wants for as little as possible. Sounds like the tactic worked in this case!!!

That being said, I have been a member of this particular club for over 8 years. The membership is quite friendly and are always willing to help with advice, tips and most will bend over backwards to assist if required by a fellow member, a person interested in the sport looking for answers or the club as a whole. I think the fact that we had so many people out supporting the auction is proof of that.

As stated in other posts here, yes, there are cliques that will form in a club between people who share the same interests. You can see that in any club. For example Scale flyers, Sport Flyers, the Electric Guys, those who are Float Fliers and the independents who just want to fly. Some people are able to float between the groups, others stay closed up and stay in a clique... but it's all the same no matter where you go or what type of club your looking at.

I guess my question is what type of person are you? Did you make an effort to blend or did you just let the scare tactic scare you off into a corner resulting in your rant? I know that if you had come over to the tables that had the computers on them and asked a question, I would have extended my hand, introduced myself and welcomed you to the auction...

Pte Jack (AKA Brad Lourie)
PteJack is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #19
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

Derrick S

I started flying RC aircraft back in 1981 and have been a member of the ERCS club since then. Over the years I have met, been mentored by and have helped hundreds of people in this great hobby. Over the years most of these acquaintances have become good friends with several of them becoming lifelong friends. Everyone of these meetings began with a handshake followed by "Hi my name is Bob Wonitoy". If you choose to stand alone on the sidelines that is exactly were you will end up in life....alone on the sidelines.

"I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."
Abraham Lincoln

Bob W
twofly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #20
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

My very best experience with a club as a visitor was in Kingston. These guys welcomed me with open arms and not just a couple, but almost all of them. It was a great day to be sure.
This was 10yrs ago and I am still intouch, wheeling and dealing with a few several times a year.
One of the old farts as some people refer them as, called me a couple of months ago and informed me that he needed to down size.
This member is quite a scratch builder and when I met him that day 10 yrs ago he had a couple of his models at the field that I made quite a fuss over. In fact I think I mentioned to him that if he ever needed to sell I would sure like to have first chance at buying the models.
Well, I bought them and Jim gave me a deal I could not refuse. Jim made it quite clear that he wanted me to have his models. I was estatic over the whole thing and then my good friend Richard brought them all the way down from Kingston and delived them right to my door.
When I find time I will post photos of these models.
One is a 1908 Bleriot and the other is a 1912 Blackburn Monoplane. Very scale accept for the airfoil and no wing warping. Makes the models extremely flyable and fun.
Thanks very much Jim & Richard for being such decent guys and helping a great club maintain it's reputation.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.