HK He-162 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Re: HK He-162

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Please keep us posted! I have some extra small servoless retracts that would fit the HK version left over from another project.
Very nice model Shotgun!
What size fan are you using (or any other details you wish to share)?
Cheers Eric
4stripes is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

Sorry for the late reply...

My He-162 was built from scratch from my own plans. It's a somewhat conventional balsa build as the fuselage is all planked (built like a canoe...) and the wing is standard balsa structure and fully sheeted with balsa. It is 44" long with a wingspan of 43" (not exactly scale). It's powered by a 3" Hayoe fan but I don't remember the size of motor. I built it a few years ago and had a build thread on another forum. It has functional retracts with the gear doors. I brought it to the field once to maiden it and had a technical problem of some sort which prevented me to fly it. I fixed it and then moved, had to do renos and so and so and it's been hanging from the ceiling in my workshop for the last 2 years..

Alain
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

So, any flying report on the HK He-162? Very curious to know how it flies...

Alain

Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Nothing yet, still in the box. Saving it for when I get back to Canada
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #15
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

I could not wait for a flight report as the thing was on sale at HK and got it for $52... Even if it end up being not so great, no big loss!

Alain
Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #16
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

It's still in the box, never had time to put it together. I'm on my way back home from southern California, with it and several others. Hope to get it thrown together once I get home.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

For once, I tried to build one of these as supplied. I test fitted everything first, spun the motor up, just to make sure it would work, it did. A little out of balance at low rpm, but after 1/4 throttle, everything smoothed out.

First, the manual, except for showing you the location for the CG, is an absolute joke, a waste of paper, the whole assembly instructions consist of 12 small pictures with one or two lines of text, and they do not seem to be in any particular order of construction.

The nose strut has the flat land ground on the wrong side so the strut will spring incorrectly, will change that by re drilling the collar and tap threads on the opposite side.then I can spin the strut around 180 degrees an lock it into position.

The rear of the battery compartment had to be ground away so the 1500 mah battery could fit properly.

Found the elevator and one of the aileron servos were not glued into their positions, so five minute epoxy fixed that.

I used 5 minute epoxy throughout the assembly.

The screws to anchor the aileron control horns were not long enough, so epoxied the control horn and the screws into position, worked really well.

One of the ailerons was attached improperly, the upper surface was way above the wing top surface, so cut it out and reattached it with epoxy. Also, the aileron control rods were about 3/8" too long so they had to be trimmed and new Z bends formed.

The motor and supplied ESC seemed to work pretty good. The impeller looks like a GWS product. If I find it too under powered, I'll swap it out for a 70 mm Change Sun with a Mega motor. Going to stay with a three cell setup as I don't want to make the model so out of balance that I would need to add lead to the tail.

The access hatch on the bottom of the model fits very snugly but I glued a thin strip of Velcro that is sometimes supplied to hold batteries in place. I can now pull the hatch open by pulling on the fabric tab that hangs down about 1/2". I think I'll fit in some rare earth magnets to hold it in place though.

The model does not have a pilot figure, but the detailed Mig-15 pilot from Hobby King for their red or silver fibreglass Mig fits perfectly after some minor grinding on the butt and knees.

The red plastic intake lip and the canopy have to be trimmed to fit properly, they do not indicate this in the instructions. I attached the intake lip with epoxy and the canopy with Formula 500 canopy glue.

The supplied landing gear seems quite sufficient, holds the model up fairly firmly and except for the issue with the nose gear strut, seems to be a good design. The supplied wheels are firm foam items, and they are not out of round, spin nicely on the axles. The main gear are torsion style design. They attach easily with the screws supplied.

All in all though, the model looks pretty good, the foam parts actually fit together very nice and the supplied hardware is acceptable for this type of inexpensive model. The foam is a very high density styrofoam, so if you hit the ground hard, you might have a pile of popcorn.

Taxied it up and down the street adjusting the nose wheel to track straight, was quite stable and at higher taxi speeds, didn't really bounce around a lot.

Now, it's back to the F-18
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	656817  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 07-10-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #18
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The nose gear strut with the reversed coil on the strut
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	51
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	656849  
Old 07-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #19
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The bottom access hatch with the pull tab
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	49
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	656857  
Old 07-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #20
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

My test pilot, poor guy....... The T-pins are just holding the canopy in place while the Formula 500 glue cures, then they will be removed. You cannot use tape of any kind to hold it in place as the paint will come off with the tape.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	53
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	656865  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.