Charging... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Kibbs
RCC Apprentice

I am: Wayne K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 6
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Charging...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My collection aka obsession addiction or what ever you wish to call it has grown I think I am facing a change in how I need to charge LiPo's

When I began the norm was 1 cell or 2 cell Lipo's and there was no charge lead and balance board not needed. I picked up a simple charger Onyx 245. It handled what I needed and even moving to a 3S battery it would allow me to balance change a single battery using the balance board and a JST connected back into the pigtail connectors.

Now I am looking to charge multiple 3S batteries at once, balanced. So looking for a way to do so.

Adding to this I am building a T-Rex 500 so I need 6S capability. I am not sure the little charger will go to 6S I think I am limited to 3S. Are these balanced changed? Connectors on these I am not sure of either, some of the how to's I have found indicate Deans are a good way to go here. Battery indicated in the instructions is a 6S 2650 Mah 45C.

Without going overboard I am looking for suggestions, the T-Rex 500 is obviously going to take a few bucks to finish. It was a flybar I have converted to flybarless so the receiver / FBL system will be another expense Does not stop but .....
Kibbs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18
Re: Charging...

Best info I've come across.

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Parallel charging is the way to go when charging multiple batteries of the same voltage. As far as connectors go, pick one and stick with it. Don't make up adapters, for XT to Deans, or EC5. Just another failure point, as far as that goes.

http://www.icare-rc.com/connectors.htm

This page gives you a good idea of the amperage that most connectors on the market can handle.

Feel free to ask away. Lots of great people around here.

Merry Christmas. Daren
Old 12-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
Vbar Control, Spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbs View Post
Now I am looking to charge multiple 3S batteries at once, balanced. So looking for a way to do so.
A cheaper route would be this one. (Have no idea on the quality)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...onnector_.html

Or here's a couple top shelf ones

https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...duct_id=101210

https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...oduct_id=98738

Quote:
Adding to this I am building a T-Rex 500 so I need 6S capability. I am not sure the little charger will go to 6S I think I am limited to 3S. Are these balanced changed? Connectors on these I am not sure of either, some of the how to's I have found indicate Deans are a good way to go here. Battery indicated in the instructions is a 6S 2650 Mah 45C.

Without going overboard I am looking for suggestions, the T-Rex 500 is obviously going to take a few bucks to finish. It was a flybar I have converted to flybarless so the receiver / FBL system will be another expense Does not stop but .....
No, the onyx 245 only does 1-3 cell.

Yes the 6s packs need to be balance charged. Any 2s pack or higher should always be balance charged.

You'll prolly be fine with deans. With a 6s pack I like to use EC5's myself

And in that case, you would use a board like one of these

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...2_6S_EC5_.html

https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...duct_id=101211

And if your looking at getting a new better charger, then check out the power supplies I build as well
Goblin380,MiniV,Xnova3215,YGE90LV,BK3001/BK5005,Switchblades,GensAce55c
Goblin700C,VbarSilverline,Xnova4530,HW160,BK7002/BK7006,Switchblades,Pulse65c
Blade450x,All lynx/blade upgrades-4SALE IN CLASSIFIEDS
HK Clik+Twisted Hobby Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini8,Leopard LBP2838,HW10BL60,BK5001,Shumacher Pins,Rhino1050mah40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Kibbs
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 6

Daren and Cory, thanks guys that is a lot to take in but will review and see what is needed. I know there were a couple of chargers for sale here will see if there is something to handle 1S to 6S or keep the Onyx for the smaller batteries.

Cory, I saw your note a while back but have been focused on learning what I need as I add to the fleet it may be needed now as I will have to look at something like iCharger and need a PS.

Much appreciated, this is an invaluable resource here!!

Cheers
Old 12-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
Vbar Control, Spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Daren and Cory, thanks guys that is a lot to take in but will review and see what is needed. I know there were a couple of chargers for sale here will see if there is something to handle 1S to 6S or keep the Onyx for the smaller batteries.

Cory, I saw your note a while back but have been focused on learning what I need as I add to the fleet it may be needed now as I will have to look at something like iCharger and need a PS.

Much appreciated, this is an invaluable resource here!!

Cheers
no prob

Merry xmas

Feel free to ask anything you want to know as your learning, glad to help.
Goblin380,MiniV,Xnova3215,YGE90LV,BK3001/BK5005,Switchblades,GensAce55c
Goblin700C,VbarSilverline,Xnova4530,HW160,BK7002/BK7006,Switchblades,Pulse65c
Blade450x,All lynx/blade upgrades-4SALE IN CLASSIFIEDS
HK Clik+Twisted Hobby Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini8,Leopard LBP2838,HW10BL60,BK5001,Shumacher Pins,Rhino1050mah40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

Your welcome Wayne. Ask away!!

Take care, Daren
Old 12-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Kibbs
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 6

Seems moving up classes sees an increase is so many other ways. Best I can see the iCharger 308 seems to be a decent choice, I do have a couple of balance boards already. Then you add a power supply on top, a little unexpected expense on both counts.

I am thinking the 308 because it is dual, perhaps not needed if I was to keep my Onyx.

Cory the PS for the icharger would be the 12 volt that you build correct?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Seems moving up classes sees an increase is so many other ways. Best I can see the iCharger 308 seems to be a decent choice, I do have a couple of balance boards already. Then you add a power supply on top, a little unexpected expense on both counts.

I am thinking the 308 because it is dual, perhaps not needed if I was to keep my Onyx.

Cory the PS for the icharger would be the 12 volt that you build correct?
Hello Wayne:

Cost is always a consideration, but if I could give you one piece of advice, based on my own experiences, it would be to look beyond what you are flying right now and purchase accordingly. If you are truly passionate about the hobby and you anticipate that you'll stick with it, buy a charging system (charger and power supply) that you may not need now, but one that you can "grow" in to. I made the mistake of purchasing what I "needed at the time" and, consequently, during the nine years since getting into electrics, made four individual charging system purchases as my needs increased. Had I been able to look into the future (I would have purchased Microsoft stock back when Bill started out ) I would have purchased the biggest, and baddest charger that was available, that I could afford (I would have saved money and grief in the long run). The system that I now use is an iCharger 3010 and a 1000 Amp Meanwell power supply. The 3010 allows me to charge up to 10 cell LiPos at a combined amperage of up to 30 Amps; that's as many as six 5,000 mAh five cell batts charging and balancing at a 1C charge rate, simultaneously.

Unfortunately my system is not inexpensive, around $450 for the charger and power supply, but it suits my needs perfectly and should carry me forward for many years (I've already owned it for three years). I'm very happy with the performance and capabilities of the iCharger family of chargers; my iCharger will do everything that I need it to do, and then some.

I haven't researched the availability of these items in Canada. I made my purchase from EP Buddy out of Ohio. Fast and reasonable shipping(flat rate for the heavy power supply) and excellent customer service.

Ultimately you'll need to determine your future electric flight plans and decide how much money that you're able to devote to a system. Good luck.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Kibbs
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 6

Peter, I have made one mistake I guess in the first charger but I did feel it would hold me a while. So the next I want to insure I will be ok. I do not see going beyond the T-Rex 500 but quads are something I do want to explore like the Phantom or the SkyHero Little Spyder.

Looked at the 3010 and it appears to be good but as you mention hard to find at the normal spots like RotorQuest. The 308 however is available and offers a second channel @ 800 Watts, the 406 has 1000 Watts.

Power supply I would look to Cory I think.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in