getting started - what electronics to buy? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
raptor16
RCC Noob

I am: fc
Radio of choice:
turnigy 9x

Total Props: 0
getting started - what electronics to buy?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm planning a bulk shipment from hobby king to canada for all electronics that i need but i don't know what to choose from the large selection of stuff. i want to scratch build and i've chosen to buy the turnigy 9x transmitter and lcd backlit. But as for esc, batteries, motors, servos, and other accessories i'm lost. i want to fly/build electric rc planes and tricopter. can you send me a wishlist of your recommendation. my budget is around $300 including shipping costs.
raptor16 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94
Re: getting started - what electronics to buy?

Wow....you are going to have to narrow your search down for us as to what type, size, quantity, etc of planes you plan to be building/assembling. Just to much left to the imagination here.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
raptor16
RCC Noob

I am: fc
Radio of choice:
turnigy 9x

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
Wow....you are going to have to narrow your search down for us as to what type, size, quantity, etc of planes you plan to be building/assembling. Just to much left to the imagination here.
I'm thinking something similar to what flite test does, but also leaving room for growth. I'm only building with dollar store foam, so I don't think it's gonna be like a 10 feet wing span. At most probably 6 feet wing span after I learned the basics.

What I had in mind was something like brushless outrun motors, maybe 1100 - 1450 kv, 20-30 amp esc, 6-9g servos, and a wide range of props. But I'm don't know how to much the right size battery for motor, esc and other stuff. My choices are mostly pure guess from what I've been seeing other people do.
raptor16 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

I can't say the same will be true for you, but every time I try to buy stuff in bulk I end up with a bunch of stuff I don't use laying around.

I know it helps you save on shipping to buy in quantity, but you might want to consider just buying what you need for perhaps the next two projects and go from there. Your interests may change and you may need different stuff.

If you are looking at making planes that are similar to Flite Test just hop on their website and look at the power combos they suggest. I think they have links directly to HobbyKing for a lot of the stuff.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor16 View Post
and a wide range of props
I don't know what kind of experience you have, but my advice would be to spend a few extra dollars and get APC props. The small ones are inexpensive and you won't (at least I don't) go through a lot of them anyway.

If you are just starting and don't have a balancer that would be another good reason to buy a quality prop...the small APC props don't usually need much if anything done to them.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_w_acc_.html
There are many chargers to choose from, but I use two of these. The 20 watts will help you down the road when you get into bigger batts.
Good reliable servos are the little HXT 500s and 900s
A 20 amp power supply will be needed to go with the batt. charger.
If you're ordering lipo batts, keep them on a separate order as it takes much longer and has to go through a different route than the stock stuff.
Hope this helps
Gord.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
cman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chuck B

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
I can't say the same will be true for you, but every time I try to buy stuff in bulk I end up with a bunch of stuff I don't use laying around.

I know it helps you save on shipping to buy in quantity, but you might want to consider just buying what you need for perhaps the next two projects and go from there. Your interests may change and you may need different stuff.
I second this

I have boxes of stuff I thought I would use at the time making an order recently I have been making an effort to use it up but how many small foam planes does one need
cman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Never have enough foamies
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
Never have enough foamies
I am just finishing off my first and ONLY foamy... if this stupid thing flies it will be a wonder.. impossible to work with impossible to paint and make it look nice.. impossible to fit hardware into.. hinges ??? tape ???? who ever thought up that one.. nothing like a good solid hinge on a control surface.. particularly if you plan on pushing it to 100mph..

These things are just plane impossible

It will be the first and LAST foamy to ever darken my shop

Will be glad when this project is done !!!! going back to my balsa

BTW... it is a Habu 2
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

for the first while, buy some foamies you like or build the Flite Test foamies, but also buy replacement ESC, motors, props, receivers and servos for each one. Eventually you will use them in something. Good to have a big supply of a whole lot of little inexpensive things like heatshrink, battery leads and plugs, bullet conectors, propeller adaptors, servo extensions, hinges, wheels, velcro (very very cheap and good at HK).

For a radio a 9XR is a great little radio, but I highly recommend springing for the Taranis with a DSMX module. It is a radio you will never outgrow (runs up to 32 channels), with amazing selection of receivers and telemetry components, and only like $150US now. The DSMX module is so you can use it with any Spektrum receiver or bind-n-fly model. Also has its own Frsky module built in, to use with their excellent and inexpensive receivers.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in