Spektrum RX - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bob C

Total Props: 1
Spektrum RX

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can a NICAD 4.8 battery pack be used with an AR8000 reciever? Usually put in five 10 minute flights then call it a day.
Avoid loud an aggressive persons,they are vexatious to the spirit.
cope is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3
Re: Spektrum RX

A 4.8 volt NiCad should work with the receiver. In terms of how much flying you will get out of a pack it is not the voltage but the amps that will determine that.

Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

hi Bob,

Ditto what Chris said.

The specs on the ar8000 rx say it can be powered by 3.5 to 9.6 volts so a 4.8volt NiCad pack is fine.

Amperage capacity largely determines how long a rx battery pack will power the airborne electronics package.
For example if the airborne package draws 250 ma per hour, a 500ma NiCad pack should power the package for two hours; if the package draws 500 ma per hour, then 1 hour of service.

Anecdotally, in the 70s and 80s, we regularly flew .40 size, even .60 size planes with four servos, on 500-550ma, 4.8v. battery packs for 5 or 6 flights without worrying "too much".

AND, many of us would also have as part of our flight box equipment, an ESV - expanded scale voltmeter - with which to check the remaining capacity of the onboard battery toward the end of the day. The ESV would put a load on the battery similar to that of the onboard rx and servos - typically a low load of 250ma or high load of 500ma. These were analog meters and the needle, under load would either stay in the "safe to fly" area, move left onto the the orange "iffy" section or the extreme left red "do not fly" section.

In the last couple of r/c club swap meets, I've seen ESVs being offered for $3 to $5.

You can also google something along the lines of "how to make an expanded scale voltmeter", to learn how to modify either a cheap analog or digital multimeter to work as an ESV. Short version, to put a 500ma load on meter, put a 9 or 10 ohm, 2 watt resistor across the leads of meter and stop flying when the meter dips to 4.5 volts.

You can also just operate the rx and servo setup with the battery as you normally would, while watching tv and note time when the servos slow/quit.

Incidentally, cycling a new NiCad pack and at the beginning of each flying season a couple of times from full charge to depleted would typically - in my experience - recover about 12 to 13% of the battery capacity over not doing so. This can be done with "battery cyclers", such as Hobbico or Ace R/C brand, which I've seen also go for about $20 or $30 on resale or by your own simulation as above while watching tv.

There is LOTS of information on NiCad, NiMh and LiFePO4 battery chemistries as used in rc to power airborne rx/servo (and ignition circuits) on this site
While the leading/"bleeding" edge is with the LiFePO4 chemistries for these applications, IMHO, NiCad and NiMh continue to work ok.

good luck,
Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048

Last edited by michaely; 01-20-2015 at 11:47 AM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bob C

Total Props: 1

Thanks for the response guys. I am just joining the 2.4 crowd after using NICADS since the 70's. I have,and use an ACE cycler plus the digital meter.
Avoid loud an aggressive persons,they are vexatious to the spirit.
cope is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

I still use a ton of FM and nicads Bob and will till my flying days are over.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

You certainly can Bob.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.