Changesun 70mm 12 blade fan with Cyclone Power CR480-2000-40EDF motors - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Changesun 70mm 12 blade fan with Cyclone Power CR480-2000-40EDF motors

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My pair of Changesun 70mm 12 blade fans with Cyclone Power CR480-2000-40EDF motors arrived (last week) from Hobby Paradise. The two arrived in good condition although the box was crushed in one corner. They have the intake lip glued in place which I wish they hadn't. The complete fan/motor combo weighs 193g.
Sorry to say, No they are not balanced to a satisfactory standard. They had some blue hard material in each of the spinners but both had to be re-positioned 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 blades away from what they had. Even then more weight is needed to make run smooth (and in a different spot). From what I have seen, the motors themselves are pretty smooth. I found no locktite on the spinner screws but the fan nuts are so tight that I couldn't loosen them (without making a slot in the adapter to apply more torque with a flat blade screw driver). Since the fans are pretty secure, I will balance them with spinner weight alone and not clock the fan (although this might be necessary in the end).
I dynamically balanced the fan and motor of the Cyclone Power CR480-2000-40EDF
The fan spinner needed weight which was added with duct tape test squares then replaced with CA drops inside. The motor was out of balance so I used the wire trick to find where weight needed to be removed with a small drill. There are some pictures posted to show how I did it. The metal filings are removed with a magnet. The results are much better than the way the fans came. I doubt they would even last more than a few runs if they were left stock.
After balancing I tested with 6s.

With a strong battery
57amps 1300watts
Settling to 53amps 1200watts
Later in the run
49amps 1050watts

The problem is the motor temps started to rise quickly over 200F at WOT forcing me to reduce power. I think using more than 1000 watts continuous will cause failure pretty soon.

On 5s I think it would run forever but 6s is pushing it.

Got the second CP-CS7012 combo balanced and running with the replacement YEP 80amp ESC. With both fans running off one Gens Ace 5500mah 25C 6S battery the wattmeter showed (total both fans)
2200watts 100amps peak
2000watts 94amps settled
then later after a fair bit of running towards the end of the battery
1900watts 90amps

These numbers kept the motors reasonably cool with some mixed throttle. If the power would be held WOT continuously, I wouldn't be surprised if a motor would smoke (but that isn't the way I fly anyways).

Looking forward to putting these in my LX A10! It should move nicely if I can keep the weight within reason.
Link to A10 thread

BTW the second motor also need some balancing to get purrfect...
I also have to look at somehow adding a drop of triflow oil to the motor bearings. The back end is easy to reach, but the front may require a small hole to be drilled into the shroud just behind the fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-21ccdf61.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	531730   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4550a2f2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	531738   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	531746   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4afe3223.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	531754  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3f17113c.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	818.9 KB
ID:	531762   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-ec7d63d7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	758.5 KB
ID:	531770  
Zen thinking * It's rebuildable till it fits back in the box. **

Last edited by 4stripes; 03-29-2016 at 06:33 AM.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.