Thinkiing of trying FPV - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22
Re: Thinkiing of trying FPV

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is still nice to have altitude and gps speed though. And a homing finding function can be helpful - but really it has been a rare, rare occurence when I actually used it. Really no excuse for getting lost when flying without GPS.

As much as the G-OSD is a crappy OSD, you can't beat it for price ($40) and simplicity. Still has too much junk on screen, but not much in the way for piloting. But it will take long time to acquire satellites and has other issues too like only shows ASL altitude, and need to reset home whenever you fly somewhere different, and has an amps display but no amps sensor, etc. Since I use it as a luxury and not something I rely it, that is acceptable for me on certain aircraft. It does show GPS coordinated, which can help locate lost model.

Now I agree don't need GPS + OSD for a MAAC field or close flying. Which is why most of my planes and quads have only E-OSD ($15). This is the simplest least cluttered OSD. Dead reliable and not a nest of wires to hook up. Highly recommend.

EZOSD is one of the top tier high quality OSD. And it keeps the data out of the middle of the display too, which is why it is much loved by veteran FPVers too. But crazy expensive for something that does not have more function than G-OSD. However does not show GPS coordinates IIRC.

The lost-model beepers are OK, but have one weakness - they are too quiet! You have to be withing 50 feet of them to hear a downed model in the bush I find. Your spotter will be infinitely more valuable for finding models. But the beeper should still be there as extra help if you can spare the channel for it. Now on newer quadcopter FC, you can plug the beeper into the FC and it will go off automatically with inactivity so no need to tie up a channel

here is G-OSD on one of my planes (I blocked out the GPS coords, link is shown at beginning and end of video). works great with Mobius/Gopro live out as it sits in the black bars. note I did not reset 'home' so it says 18km away to home, LOL:

I think my favourite OSD is probably still STORM OSD. It has everything, yet simple to use. And it has a very nice 'display switch.' So when you fly you can cycle between 3 screens: full-fighter display, minimal info at the bottom, and display off. Easy to set up autopilot and RTH too. reliable GPS. $120 USD nowadays. you can choose not hook up the autopilot at first, to keep it easier.

for a curiosity, this is my KatanaMD with $300 RVOSD on board. Tried flying aerobatics using the fighter-jet style pitch ladder. It helps a but, but also distracting

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 02-05-2015 at 02:59 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.