AT6 Build - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 31
AT6 Build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been telling folks that I was building an AT-6 for a while - but I never put it up on the RCC. The question is why? And the answer - I got a little lazy.

I'm also not working on this project regularly so it is going pretty slowly, but that is what the hobby is all about (to me). Doing something that you like when you have the time and want to do it.

I have plenty of planes - I don't NEED another plane. But I like to build, and all of the problems (and solutions) associated with building - they keep my mind working and keep me away from the TV.

So my project is an 'OLD' Midwest kit (circa 1992) I found in a local hobby shop collecting dust, made a deal and here I am. It is a 'Solid' kit that is a lot different from anything that I have built before.

The Wing is a fully sheeted one piece 81" wing. I tried to build it as a three piece wing - but the design did not lend to an easy conversion. So I went back to the original plan (darn it!, that is one big wing!) In a little while, I get to join the three main pieces together complete with Fiberglass and epoxy - should be fun .

The entire Fuse is sheeted with 1/8" Balsa and required lots of sanding and filler followed by MORE Sanding. I had the greatest problems trying to wrap the balsa around the round formers. Yes; I soaked the wood with Windex and it did help - but then the glue set up too fast and some pieces were bending better than others. By the time that I got to the end of the process - I was using the tried and true 'Planking' method to cover the fuse. It worked well, but I needed lots of filler and sanding to blend the joints.

For a power plant I'm going with a 30cc Gas engine - It should be a good combination.

An option was the Landing Gear (fixed or retractable) - the RCC membership came to my aid once again and I am going to be installing a never been used, six year old set of Robart 620s.

Still to be decided is how to cover the plane. Coverite is an option but then I could just use silk span and Butyrate dope - but dope is getting hard to find and the odor is - less than appealing. I would also have to learn how to use an Airbrush to paint the plane - not a bad thing to learn but it is just one more thing to do... yet, I'm not in a hurry. Hmmm... Decisions, Decisions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0776.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	544082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0778.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	544090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0779.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	544098   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0782.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	544106  

Name:	H Wing.2.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	544114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harvard .11.JPG
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	544122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harvard .12.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	544130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harvard.14.JPG
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	544138  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
cf100
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 14
Re: AT6 Build

Nice work! I had the same model a while back, I bought it used from Tex at the WHAM club, he had it for 3 years, I had for 3 years then I sold it. Tex used a Zenoah G26, I used a Quadra 35, in both cases it was a great flyer. I retrofitted flaps to it after I got it, it helped slow down the model for landings, I think we were around 16 pounds or so. The City of Winnipeg 402 Squadron paint scheme was neat.
look forward to more updates. cheers - ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	harvard midwest.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	544450  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Hmm, how about converting it to the Hollywood Zero conversion! I've wanted the Top Flite kit for that for years, it's a fake Zero that really exists, so a rather unique scale subject. Perfect for driving judges insane!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwavesdave View Post
Hmm, how about converting it to the Hollywood Zero conversion! I've wanted the Top Flite kit for that for years, it's a fake Zero that really exists, so a rather unique scale subject. Perfect for driving judges insane!
Hmmm an interesting idea - but - I have a buddy that logged some 200 hours in the Harvard and he is looking forward to a little trip down memory lane with this kit - so IF I was to convert this airframe to 'The Enemy' ... I would be in deep dodo.

But it would be a heck of a project!
Perhaps when I find another Midwest AT6 kit - I'll do it then.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I'm still hoping to find the Top Flite Hollywood Zero kit, but the Midwest kit looks like a good alternative as well. I built a P-51 kit last year, for a buddy, and we chose a captured Luftwaffe scheme for it. It's super cool, different, and raises a lot of eyebrows at public events!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwavesdave View Post
I'm still hoping to find the Top Flite Hollywood Zero kit, but the Midwest kit looks like a good alternative as well. I built a P-51 kit last year, for a buddy, and we chose a captured Luftwaffe scheme for it. It's super cool, different, and raises a lot of eyebrows at public events!
I'll BET IT DOES!!

No one likes to see a captured bird - but - I have also seen photos of a ME109 with British markings... I always wondered if they survived the war or got shot down by friendly fire due to a buddy shooting at the 'Profile'...

Last edited by bbbair; 02-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf100 View Post
Nice work! I had the same model a while back, I bought it used from Tex at the WHAM club, he had it for 3 years, I had for 3 years then I sold it. Tex used a Zenoah G26, I used a Quadra 35, in both cases it was a great flyer. I retrofitted flaps to it after I got it, it helped slow down the model for landings, I think we were around 16 pounds or so. The City of Winnipeg 402 Squadron paint scheme was neat.
look forward to more updates. cheers - ken
Hey there Ken!

I looked at the flaps and decided that it was going to be too much work (I got lazy ) and besides if the designers thought that the kit NEEDED flaps - they would have put them in the kit. (It's my story and I'm sticking with it! )

That is a GREAT colour scheme - what did you use? Monocoat or Silkspan?

This is not the easiest kit I have built - if you have any advice - I am willing to listen.

Happy Landings!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec

OK Guys;

Im busy working away at my Mid West AT6 and I came across a thread on RCU from 2011 that said that C of G was too far forward to make the AT 6 handle nicely the author puts the correct CG at 5.5 from the Leading Edge which is aft of the recommended range of Balance.

I KNOW that there are a few RCC members that have had the MW AT 6 what did YOU DO?

Comments?

RCU Thread;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...-overhaul.html

Post #9;

"... don't rely on the recommendations given by Midwest regarding CG. They show it much further forward than necessary and it actually makes the airplane much more prone to tip stalls as well as harder to land properly. I have my Midwest T-6 balanced as shown below and it flies fantastic. Not to mention how much lighter it is (about 16 pounds) because I was able to remove a bunch of nose weight. That measurement is 5.5" in case it is not easily read in the diagram."
Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
derby291
RCC Apprentice

I am: dave c
Radio of choice:
spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

Any pictures of your progress. I have the same kit that I haven't started yet. I planning on using the evolution 35cc radial engine for it if it will fit under the cowling.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I do have access to a Harvard, at our museum, so if anyone is looking for detailed photo packs, all the panel lines, rivet details, etc, etc, I can do so pretty quick, burn to a DVD and send. I've got my Hollywood Zero, and it's almost ready for detailling, I get to simply take it to the museum after hours, and plunk it on a table beside the Harvard, and mark all the things I'll need on location! Now if only we had a Tiger Moth at the museum! lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.