What do you use for nitro and gas proof paint - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 11
Re: What do you use for nitro and gas proof paint

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have found as a general rule the more durable the paint the higher the toxicity. Waterborne paints are a prime example. Warnings have existed for years not to confuse environmentally friendly with free from health risks.

The only safe way to deal with any paint is to obtain the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and educate your self to the dangers and take proper precautions for use of the material.

Paints never intended for spraying that include additives to enhance flow; self leveling and drying times may have added risks the manufacturer has not considered.

I remember in the tool trade there was hand tapping compounds that were the best but guys were using them for power tapping, drilling and cooling mill cutters. When they were heated they broke down into extremely potent carcinogens. Used as per the instructions there was no hazard.

It does not take long exposure to develop extreme sensitivity to the chemicals used in these paints. Please be careful and enjoy your hobby for a very long time.

Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bee
Radio of choice:
Futaba Fasst
# of RCs: 29

Total Props: 2

+1 on Klass Kote epoxy paint I use it on my boats with 50%-60% nitro and I can spray it with an airbrush or small gun, but most of the other guys in the club use auto clear coat.
Namba District 16
Futaba FASST
Tombsy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

I agree with Dennis (Lazy Ace) that the most durable - and quicking drying/curing - finishing coatings seem to be the ones with greatest toxicity.

That doesn't mean you should/want to always avoid using them but, as Dennis said, dig up the ingredient's sheet online and use them safely.

For me this means brushing and using them, as much as possible, outdoors.

Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0

It goes much deeper ... even cleaning high quality paint applicators requires some very dangerous and highly volatile cleaners. Even with a proper respirator mask, gloves, even clothing ... accidents happen. The data sheet will speak about safe storage, something few hobbyists think about.

Some of the cleaners will eat right through your latex gloves, some masks and eye protection fail completely from the overspray. They will do wonders to your kitchen and laundry room pipes! Hope there are no plastic parts in your spray gun / air brush!

There is an artificial "safeness" created by so many of those TV shows where the guy shown with the paint is spraying happily for the four seconds the shot was being made. The real paint was applied by a guy who looked more like an astronaut!

... and don't miss the section on proper disposal.
... Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

My models are generally gasoline powered. For the scale models I use Latex house paint. Easy to spray (thinned with some window washer fluid) and with a little common sense will not put you into the hospital. Latex is NOT nitro fuel proof. Roy Vaillancourt has used latex on Top Gun quality scale models for years and it gives a durable finish.

Check out the articles on his website:

scroll down the page to the articles section for the two part series on painting models with latex.
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at www.jramericas.com
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Steve S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 3

EXCELLENT input guys. Lets hear some more about your experience with different paints. Good or bad. The safety tips are extremely important. Having sprayed before, I know the dangers, but did not consider that others may not. I am working out of my garage, with exhaust fans, but sometimes cut corners on P.P.E for convenience or laziness or whatever. Thanks for re-educating me.
pappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I use Topflite Lustrecoat comes in spray cans, and comes in many colours. You can pick it up at your LHS. I use a north half mask in a spray booth with exhaust fans. The stuff is deadly if you don't wear proper PPE. The nice thing with this paint it dries quick because of the benzyne that's in it. 2 minutes between coats. It works very well.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1

Last edited by fsone; 03-07-2015 at 07:03 PM.
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

I just get it at my local paint store; Auto Home Paints. Pretty much anywhere that sells real automotive paint should have it....

I think it's about $25 a can. Not cheap, but if you do automotive work you go through this stuff like crazy anyway. The larger can will harden about a gallon of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HARDENER.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	598002   Click image for larger version

Name:	hardener2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	598026  
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate

Last edited by wymbly1971; 04-09-2015 at 11:29 AM.
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve K
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C

I have been playing with west systems 2 part epoxy. I use mostly black gelcoat tint paste in the epoxy and then add the hardner. Sometimes the finish is ok but sometimes there is separation of the tint. Looking for tint without the plasticizer. Might try graphite next as a tint agent. I fuelproof the firewall for all my nitro projects. So far great fuel proof results and added strength so there is no crush in the ply with the mounts. Anyways... thats my direction of experimentation.
Sailor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #20
RCC Apprentice
I am: Tom M
Radio of choice:

Endura all the way. Some suppliers are willing to sell you small quantities like an 8oz can with the part be in a separate jar. My friend runs a paint store, which is handy... Barring that, go to an auto body shop and ask nicely for a jar of some left over ppg and hardener. Can usually get some for a few bucks.
TomGSMackay is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.