Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39
Re: Is Glow Dead?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Glow has worked in all my Control Line airframes since 1972. I can't imagine any type of "upgrade".
I do fly a small amount of Glow each season in my R/C facet.

FishFly - FunFly, Sept 11-13. Great fun!
Trout Farm Flyers. Life is good.
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #22
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Steve S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 3

Love the smell of Nitro in the morning. 4 stroke any day. Sound,. smell, torque and tinkering do it for me. Anything 30cc or under, it's the nitro 4 stroke that does all the hard work. The bigger airframes get their 2 stroke gas cousins, only because I'd rather eat than buy a big 4 stroke radial. I have a mechanical background, and enjoy building, so electrics have little appeal. Wood trumps foam.
Glow is still well and alive at our club. I do agree that many RCers have converted to electric and gas, but there is still a big market in used and NIB glow engines, that the stores never see.
Ease and convenience along with cheap merchandise from China helps drive the hobby in the direction it's going. Unfortunately it's all about flying and little to do with modelling. Just my humble opinion.
pappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ron. L.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18z
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 1

Love the smell of burnt gas with some amzoil mixed in,,especially in the morning,price of glow fuel and 4 stroke fuel,talking to many is a factor...but flying giant stuff,, you would break the bank for the guy beginning i would always recommend a trainer with a good old 40 glow on it,,, the standard in beginner planes.....
When an R/C FLYER does RIGHT, nobody remembers.....When he does WRONG ,nobody forgets!!!!! : M.A.A.C. 44424
Riptide44 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Back in he 1970's I experimented with oil separator mufflers. I got the basic idea from one of the magazines at the time. They use swirling flow of the exhaust gasses and centrifugal force to separate the oil and picked the exhaust gasses from the centre of the muffler can. I made several they worked great. I piped the oil 3/4's the way down the landing gear.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #25
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Glow all the way . Glow will never die in my lifetime. All my engines are glow except for a small electric indoor. Electric doesn't appeal to me in the least or gas as well. The pros of running the glow engine.

1. No reed valves to chip
2. No ignition module
3. No radio frequency interference
4.No ignition battery
5. No ignition on off switch
6. No optical ignition kill switch
7. No spark plug cap and wire
8. No adjusting ignition timing
9. No mixing gas and oil
10. No extreme overheating
11. No excessive vibration

Long live the Glow engine
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #26
RCC Apprentice
I am: Cameron T
Radio of choice:
futaba 7c
# of RCs: 10

The smell of glow fuel exhaust is one of the signs of spring!
ccaamm1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

It's dying a slow but sure death, no doubt about that!

Just like rubber power, CO2, diesel, free flight, control line and pure gliders there will always be a few faithful followers but I don't believe we will ever see glow engines enjoy the dominant place that they once had. The final nail in the glow engine coffin will happen slowly and gradually across the country as each individual LHS stops bringing in the fuel. It's already happening here. With the present concern about terrorism and illegal drug production the components to mix your own fuel are getting increasingly hard to find. Few people will bother with it.

I own a little of everything but confess to being a huge fan of 4 stroke glow engines. Nothing in the history of modeling has ever matched the beauty of design, realistic sound and down to earth practicality of these engines. And I don't see anything on the horizon that ever will!

It will be a sad day when the sound of the last one fades into the sunset...

So... keep buying that fuel guys, it's our only hope!

P.S. For those that don't have glow engines but would like to support our cause - it makes excellent barbeque starter and even has mild positive medical after effects! (I need more toilet paper in here please Dear!)
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #28
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

If it wasn't for starting out on electrics, my first glow flight ( deadstick ) would have been terrible instead of a non event. Certainly hasn't diminished my desire of wanting RC planes with glow,electric and gas and all that goes along with learning the pro's and con's with each.

Guess I am happy flying RC regardless of power system.......Though I might balk at a flying prius
latigidsoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #29
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

No Merv, that is from the chili!

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #30
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Grant M
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4,TACTIC TX650 2.4.
# of RCs: 200

Total Props: 13

ALL glow for me love the smell, all 2 stroke and some 4 stroke. I tried gas its more money to set up and your flipping a prop with your hand Yikes. I tried electric its the battery's that cost to much and you don't have the sound. Glow all the way for me and nothing else. And to stop flame out I run a high performance glow plug I used to buy the Hanger 9 Heli glow plug but they have been discontinued so I am buying the OS Max #8 and for my Evolutions Evo super plug.
Grant Mackay
MAAC #73350
1994 Silverado 4x4 Truck mint
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander 4x4
Gee Bee
And the love of my life my Wife.

Last edited by GMACKAY; 03-09-2015 at 10:35 PM.
GMACKAY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.