LiPo storage and charging safety - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #41
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 15
Re: LiPo storage and charging safety

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by jnidd View Post
Thanks guys. I had been a car racer for over 25 years before I quit. When I came back to the hobby I thought I would get into electric flight (I did fly nitro planes in the past)as I thought it was an easy transition. Getting used to Lipo batteries and hearing all the stories about fires and puffy packs has got me to read everything I can. While I agree with alot of the statements both PRO and Con I have to thank everyone for letting me know your views.

Now I am off to fly

You did right by reading all you can about electrics but the problem there is also a lot of misinformation out there. When getting your information I would go back maybe 2-3 years and anything older than that is just history as there have so many changes in the makeup in lipo battery chemistry regarding safety.
Yes the puffy packs may get that way but there are usually reasons for that some being discharged too low and recharged too fast. Cheap chargers . Cheap batteries, as I usually try to go with midrange to the higher end batteries all depending what I use them for and the current drains expected. Also storage charge is highly recommended by all manufacturers but some owners do not. Read and follow the manufacturers recommendations but a lot do not and issues develop.
What I mean by cheaper batteries are the cheaper design and makeup not the dollars paid as that can vary for the exact same brand and capacity.
About lipo fires ; a couple of weeks ago one of the fellas had a very large (4.7m) glider crash due to elevator servo lockup and the fully charged lipo was torn at the bottom so the insides could be seen.... no fire , no smoke. Some manufacturers have improved the interior chemical makeup to minimise flame but there may still be some out there that may smolder-smoke.

Also buy the highest C discharge rating you can afford even though you do not need it for your application as that minimises the IR ( internal resistance) changes over time. Just my opinion but there will be those that will dispute with their own beliefs. Knowledge is gained by research rather than hearsay . Thanks for taking time to read.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.