What makes you decide on a plane? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-09-2002, 11:10 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
the plane - the plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've seen Andrew's planes and they do fly very well.

Craig - from the Sault
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5
Re: What makes you decide on a plane?

What i look for in a kit to build is what do i prefer aerobatics something that's fast,a plane that handles wind well.I have to like the looks of the plane i build.I lean more towards the aerobatic birds like edge540s,extra 300s yaks .Although i have many styles of aircraft.Main thing is have fun and fly hard.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

OK I gotta ask

what made you look up a post from Sept 2002? The RC Canada forum was a month old then.
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9

You know it's all about one's desire and what makes you feel good. I like WWII warbirds and I like twins or quads..... Usually something just catches my eye in passing or reading an article.

I like to build ARF models that are closer to scale of late. The poor attempts by some ARF creators have pushed me to look elsewhere and chase down any and every review I can find to get previous builder feedback before I decide.

I might love P-38s but the boxy hack jobs that are out there make it such that I avoid them until I see the better built ARFs on the market again. I also like the unique model that isn't at my local club.
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I usually have a few bucks in my pocket and make a rash, uninformed decision...
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Originally Posted by Nuker View Post
Do you pick a new plane for it's looks, reputation, ease of build, type of flying it performs, cost, size of engine it needs, uniqueness?

What makes you part with your hard earned dollars to get the next project?

Gosh, that is like asking "Why did you pick your car?" You know there will be hundreds of different answers, each one dependent on that particular individual and what he wants(needs??). Some guys want pickup trucks, some guys want vans, others station wagons and still others will take the subcompact. There will be no one right answer, as long as it suits the individual.

For me, it depends on what I want to do.
For an aerobatic plane, I want good flight performance throughout the flight envelope. Fast control response and straight tracking is what I want. Power to weigh must be good for nice verticals. Balance should be such that the plane can at least spin. Some planes just wont spin for beans and that can be really frustrating.

For my warbirds, good looks is always nice. Remember the Nosen P-51? They never got the front profile right on that plane It just looked stupid. The Dynaflight Corsair? That looked like crap. Then then next thing is flying quality. Some pucker factor is fun but if you have to hold it for every flight time and time again, its no fun!. Also most warbirds have a high wing loading so flaps are high on the priority list,. And finally, the greatest sin for all warbirds.... THE WHEELS MUST GO UP!!!! LOL

There are other aircraft types I can also get into, like Jets, Foamies, Sport planes, etc.. but each one will vary accordingly.

There are some common factors for me.

For all planes I want quality wood and ease of construction. The new generation of laser-cut wood is just beautiful compared to some the the older Die cut kits, especially when the die was nearing the end of its life and half the parts were mangled or poorly cut.

Also, all the planes that I am looking for have to have grass field capabilities. Unelss of course, you plan to hand-bomb it.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

I started flying two years ago. Was drawn into flying by a 6 ft Radial Beaver and Piper Cub. By the end of the first year I had small biplanes, a couple of WW2, some acrobatic stuff, and a pylon racer.
I have always gotten the most enjoyment from flying that first Radial Beaver, just love the way it flies. So at the end of the second season I have committed to building and flying Dehavilland planes, Radial Beaver, 2 Turbo Beavers, working on a Twin Otter, and maybe a C115 Buffalo to come.
I fly a smal 540 Edge(36") when I just want to rip up the sky (at least my idea of tearing holes in the atmosphere). I just got a 300 Extra (45"), it needs a little TLC, but has been a great flyer, and will be again!
The rest for the most part have just sat idly, I have flown my new PT17 Stearman about 16 times, but spend the majority of flying time putting around with the Beavers!! The Kelly Pylon Racer (124.6 mph) did not get flown this year at all. flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

1st - Style of flying I wish to do and what size of aircraft;

2nd - Manufacturers specs (especially wing area & AUW)

3rd - Research the manufacturers reputation

3rd - Review videos and build threads from the Internet if possible.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I have many of the same reasons listed here, looks kewl, flys great, but I find that I also have a need to be a bit different. I love the way the giant scale Mustangs fly, but when I go to a big event, there are 10 of the same plane there. Nothing wrong with that, infact the reason there are 10 of 'em is BECAUSE they fly so well, but I like to be a bit different, that's why I found the Yak3.
If I had more time for designing and building (and who does?) there would be a few more odd planes at our fun fly's, like the DO28 I am working on now and the AN2 Colt that is rolling around in the back of my head now.

so the "odd" or "unusual" planes seem to draw me in that direction, so if your at a fun fly and you see somthing that looks weird, it just might be mine, or just me:P

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1

I'm afraid I'm an impulse buyer. I have so many planes ( usually ARFs ) that I'll never get into the air. Used to buy a lot on ebay there were some GREAT deals and I have a hard time passing up a bargain.
However, one of my treasures is a World Models Rambler 45 that I've always been attracted to and finally bought when it went on sale. Now that I've dabbled in electrics I am going to put it together this winter electric powered. I'm sure this is a whole new ballgame.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.