So when do you stop for the year? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2002, 08:33 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
heh heh, I am evil, aren't I ??

I reduced the photo size........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I am a bit of a suck when it comes to cold weather and flying. I totally enjoy our winters, but I cant seem to fly with gloves and just getting to the field is a nightmare - unless you want to walk through waist high snow!

Its about this time (as I sit here, it IS snowing, yes, Oct.8 ) that I start machining engines, making castings for engines, rebuilding engines, etc.. the lathe and mill get used a LOT in the winter! I also do repairs (NONE to do this winter! Yes!) and do some building. The next project for me is the Ziroli Panther. Going to be a good one, lots of work.

I was going to try to do some flying this winter, me and my buddy Don talk about it, but we'll see when its -20 and the wind is blowing....

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:10 PM   #13
Carl Layden
RCC Contributor
I am: Carl Layden

Hmmm a pic is worth 1000 words here's 2000 that show what ya gotta do to get out to fly.
Carl Layden

Golf : WHACK! F!
R/C Flying: F! WHACK!
Carl Layden is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Building my 3rd snap 10 ,er, cap 10 Yellow Aircraft. Such a beautifull flying aerobatic aircraft if you could keep it from snapping. Going to modify the tips, thicken them up. hope that helps.
Good winter flying guys.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:58 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
In and out...

We go all winter also. The club puts aside some funds and we have the access road plowed all the way to the field by the property owner.
We have a shelter built and a propane heater. I must say that my enthusiasm for outdoor winter flying has diminished since we started doing indoor electric 3 years ago. We fly every Sunday in a good size gym. There are usually about 5 to 8 guys there and it is a blast.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice

Winter Flying

Well, we wer out this past weekend, with a mix of wheels, skis and hand launch planes. A good time was had by all, and this coming saturday, (Nov 9) is our first annual INDOOR fun fly. Why quit flying for the winter? Just make a few changes and fly all year round!
Of course I'm an expert!
X is an unknown quantity,
Spurt is a drip under pressure!
Icebird is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:20 PM   #17
RCC Noob

All year round

Since i have gotten into electric planes, I now can fly all year round!
Since I don't have to screw around with gas glow and field equipment.

I have 4 packs, I can load and fly each pack at full bore for 5-7 min. Thats all my fingers can take. I warm my hands with the hot pack from the plane as I load a new one and toss and go again. I can do all 4 in about 30min. Then it's back to work I go. If the weathers good five days a week.

It's great field to myself and a fast plane and no mess to clean up.

Though I really miss the smell of nitro and the scream of a YS engine.

The electrics keep me going in the winter.
DFlinn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:50 AM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

When I can, where I can

I fly with the Brampton club, recently in the past I haven't been able to get out in the winter since becoming a father
Occasionly, I get down to the banana belt (Windsor) to visit my wife's parents and do get a few flights in. Thanks to global warming Windsor has become alot like Vancouver, where you count the hours the snow is on the ground and not days or months.
A former co-worker has a grass strip for his Piper up near Orangeville, I hope to get some skiis for my Kadet and try his strip out.
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:26 PM   #19
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jan B

We fly indoors in winter too, good social gathering at the very least. I have a Gws Tigermoth,only problem is the two wings.( Could'nt resist Jim)
Once my buddy Reg said to me , Want to see me land on the wall? So he pulls his plane nose up and lands on the wall, only problem being gravity.
Down she comes sliding down the wall and crashes to the floor. Never laughed so hard in my life!
I fly outdoors too. My rule is I'll fly to -10 C in no wind, any wind and it has to be above ZERO.
Good trick for glow engines, pour hot water on the head starts like summer!
I,ve heard some guys use lighter fluid. Of course gas engines are no problem.
Once flew in -25 C with my glider. It went up 100 ft and the hi-start froze
C-stiff then the glider froze and did a lazy circle on the lake. The crystals have a temp rating. The hi-s squirmed for a minute as it came back to life once inside.
Spring flying off the ice on the lakes is the best flying of the year. Dead calm, +6 C or so and blue skies, cant beat it!
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:49 PM   #20
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Winter Flying

Hi Gang: Here in "Sault" our winter flying is fairly limited. Our flying field access road is not plowed (apprx. 1KM) and is part of a snowmachine trail.We do have a large soccer/ball field with a 150 yard access road that is opened up in late Jan. or early Feb (with a plowed parking lot),for the skiers and snowshoe enthusiasts.Generally on a sunny mild day, you can find a half dozen die-hard rc'ers out there freezing their fingers and dodging goal posts,backstops, light poles and the concession building .But it's all worthwhile, 'cause after we're thru we converge on our favorite coffee shop and ponder the days activities..Aaaah it's great to be a Notherner

Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.