-$138,424 membership fee drop - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #51
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Re: -$138,424 membership fee drop

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was approached about 3 weeks ago by an Ottawa based business that was looking for someone to do aerial photos from a drone. The reason was due to the high cost of doing it from a full scale plane. He runs a full time business and part of it is selling aerial photos to farmers showing their homes & property from the air. He had no idea there could be any restrictions, liabilities or could be considered unsafe in any way. I had a long discussion about all of that, sent him links to several sites including MAAC etc. So far I haven't seen an Ad on Calm Days like the previous one I showed him. He may still be researching it but after our discussion he knew it wasn't as simple as finding someone with a drone capable of lifting a decent camera.

As for the Legal stuff posted that's fine & dandy but MAAC needs to find a way of presenting itself to those buyers, even if they won't join a club. They may very soon be needing MAAC to defend their right to fly them. I don't know the hows & whys but in most models I bring home from the hobby shop there's an advisory about safe operation & the AMA. Considering that things imported for sale in Canada require a French manual as well as an English one it shouldn't be that hard to add something similar about MAAC.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #52
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
But wouldn't the idea of MAAC not even apply to they type of flying most of the people who buy these want to do?

It strikes me that 99.9% of the people that buy a "Drone" at Henry's have no intention or desire to fly around a club field shooting footage.

I suppose some awareness would not hurt though especially if you could show them the difference between what is common/acceptable at a club field vs what is acceptable in the "General Airspace".
Your right of course but there are also fixed wing drones, UAV and FPV all being sold without so much of a mention of MAAC or the regulations regarding transmission of video or flying beyond line of sight. Most of this by hobby shops who are afraid of compromising sales. Stand in your local hobby shop and be a fly on the wall. Listen to the salesman who happens to be a MAAC member when he's selling to a potential newbie. What you observe may surprise you.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #53
Me109G
RCC Contributor

I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

I pay for my MAAC and its a lot cheaper than the membership to my club but still pay to join the club and when I can't get out to my club's field I fly locally over in the open area close to home but I am very cautious about my surroundings and fly my planes close to me,same with my quad although I am not flying it with a FPV as I am not interested in that part of the hobby but also not flying it over 15 ft in front of me. Most of the stuff I fly locally is in the 450 size and under. When I am at the field its the bigger planes.
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #54
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
.....Stand in your local hobby shop and be a fly on the wall.....
Quite right. I have heard some pretty hair raising stuff over simple things such as Rx batteries never mind the big stuff like where and how you should be flying complicated, potentially dangerous machines. I witnessed a sales thingy telling a guy outright horse-dung about an the item that was three times the price and less effective than a more capable item.

Is is too bad there is not more awareness of what regulations are actually in place and the existence of ways to fly for fun in a responsible manner.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #55
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Everyone has a right to bitch and express their opinion.

Lets not let this thread become personal attacks.

Please
Apologies to admin...as Keith pointed out..the intent of the thread is misleading..
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #56
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Yes!! All good valid points! I believe that most of us ARE trying to raise the safety/MAAC awareness bar in our own corners. A little help on a national scale could go a long way. I just attended a mall show in Red Deer last weekend, there was MAAC info everywhere! Good job guys!

I opened a kit box the other day and guess what was on top? An AMA flyer! I remember those from back when I was a kid buying Gillows free flight and Goldberg control line kits! They have been doing it for over 50 years. I have NEVER seen a MAAC one.

A friend of mine tells me he saw a MAAC add on TV once... at 2:00 AM. That is the only one I have heard of.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #57
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

I think Transport Canada has made things more difficult for MAAC recently. Appreciate the volunteers for keeping at it for the good of ALL the sub genres of RC flying.

As for a drop in membership fees .. I fail to see how this matters to me at all. MAAC can't be all things to all people. It seems to be doing what it needs to be doing just fine, for the most part. They new website will do a TON to help their profile and market penetration - in the internet age the old website was truly an eyesore and a discouragement to the hobby.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #58
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
The new website will do a TON to help their profile and market penetration - in the internet age the old website was truly an eyesore and a discouragement to the hobby.
new features for the website are being turned on almost every other day. There is also a huge list of new stuff that will be added as things move forward.
MAAC also has a Facebook page. Each Zone has also been setting up a zone facebook page.
MAAC has a Twitter account.
MAAC is also creating a press release kit and also reaching out to media outlets across the country.
New competition and education funding has been created. New promotional material for clubs doing public events is being worked on.
and there may be more to come
As much as we would all like to see all the ideas and projects up and running yesterday. ....
The reality is, it takes some time.

MAAC has made many steps forward in the last 23 months. And their goal is to continue on that path.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #59
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

Thanks Brad. That's good to hear. See you in May.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #60
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
See you in May.
That reminds me ...... I still need to register

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in