electric power - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
electric power

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have always been curious about electric power. I have a set of plans for the old royal skymaster. Have been going to redraw it and build one. Curious about using electric for it. It would be 76 inch wing span and around 9lbs. That for two saito 56 engines, or even better one 56 and a 72 in the nose. Question is how I go about finding out what electric motors would do the same. I know that good electric motor's cost almost as much as my saito's.
So with brushless motors, how would I figure out what size, how many batteries, and of course, where would I cut wieght down, ie lose all the light ply formers and replace with balsa??????

How long of extension cord should I get?

clouddancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Hi Jim
Most of the Royal kits were Very heavy construction and not very good for conversion to electric. The most important criteria for building electric is to build light but strong.
As an example I am building a Blenheim kit designed for electric here are the specs:
Wingspan 60"
Area 533 sq. inches
Weight(RTF with battery) 4.13#
Wing loading 17.8oz./ sq. ft.(most scale WW2 gassers are about 27oz/sq.ft.)
Powered by 2 Graupner Speed 600 throughway can motors
swinging 8-4 E-props @ 10K RPM.
There are calculations you can use to figure out exactly which motors, ESC and battery pack you need for a particular airframe to give you the results
Airnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:43 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Airnut.
First, the skymaster would be redrawn in cad and laser cut. Use of lighter material and also building glass cowls would lighten it up. I know the old royal kits where very heavy.
I have seen some electric aircraft fly but the thing that I noticed more than anything was they all tended to be flotters. I am interested in the brushless motors, but they start talking about senors type and senorless type and I get lost.
I guess the problem here is I don't have enough info on the type of motors to even ask the right questions.
thanks again for the help and reply

clouddancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Talk to these guys, they gave a presentation at our club that was quite impressive.... seemed very knowledgeable.

MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:42 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

First post here.

I'm an EMFSO member. Are there any others here?

I'm into E-helis now but I've built some large electric fixed wing including a Sr. Telemaster tow plane.

It can be a bit of a technical exersize to select an electric power system because there are more variables than with glow, but rest assured there is lots of information available to help you find a combo that will work. I think the best thing you can do is start reading the E-Zone. Read the FAQs first. Then do searches on similar projects and ask questions. I'd also be more than happy to answer some of your questions.

There are some good rules of thumb in the FAQs you can follow, like how many Watts/Lb your power system should be capable of. Another thing you can do is obtain software like MotoCalc to help select a power system.

rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dan K
Radio of choice:
JR 9303

Yep, another proud EMFSO member here.
Currently in my stable...
-Avionik F5D - Goes like &*%# off a shovel
-Stinger F5D-400 - Goes like smaller &*%# off a shovel
-Sokol F5D-400 - Goes like smaller &*%# off a slightly slower shovel
-BalsaCraft Sea Fury - Hopefully I'll finish it this winter
-Zagi 400X - Yes, it seems everyone needs one of these for kicks. Ole' reliable for sure
-Ryan Aircraft Rare Bear - Nice looking, nice flying
-GP Ultimate 40 - Semi-successful E-conversion. Waiting for Lithium Polymer batteries to prove themselves
-Dumas 30" Standard J-1 - Rubber power yes, but pretty cool too!!!
-Models by John MiG-17C - Still in the box - Any buyers?
-Super Mini Diablotin - First one that'll go straight up 'till the batteries die. Hehehe

I'm currently in the process of building a Mark Drela SuperGee DLG. Learning lots of new skills in the process, I'd recommend this exercise to anyone as a fascinating winter project.

Any more EMFSO members? Electric flyers? Let's here what you're flying!

Dan Kitching
DanKitching is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice

clouddancer.One easy thing to remeber about e-flying is that the airframe must bw half the totale flying weight. The other half would be your power system,(batteries,motor,esc,) gearbox aslo if one is used. 6lbs plane ,3lbs /3lbs.If you can get the airframe to 2lbs thats even better.Just remeber,"BRICKS DON'T FLY GOOD".I'll talk more when i get home.Doing this thing called work stefan
Fly fast/Fly quite!!
AMA 612678
IMAA 24164
SDP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:21 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

Electric Power

Clouddancer and others: I have found the following calculator program to be a great learning tool for getting a grip on E-power. Play with it and you will learn a ton. It might not be totally accurate at times, but it's in the ball park.

Tex Gehman, Winnipeg
Slime is Crime
Sabrejock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.