Building Guillows Kits - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Building Guillows Kits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
First, lets agree what areas are critical and which are not;
Critical: Front former, front and back wing saddle former. The rest are not that critical.

With my corsiar rebuild, I found it was so crooked when I got it. I dismantled it and rebuilt it per the instructions. Even so, I still ended up with a fuse that had a crooked firewall and a crooked wing saddle. I have had to make corrections to the build and learned a few tricks. From now on will build stick-and-tissue models in the following manner:
  1. Build the first half of the fuselage with all the formers in place save for the front former. Use a small square to get the formers as square to the building board as possible.
  2. Turn over, and build the second half of the fuselage. Glue in all formers square by eye EXCEPT the front former and front and back wing saddle formers.
  3. Take the 2 front formers and glue them together flat on your building board (not on the fuselage)
  4. Take the semi-finished fuse and stand it on its nose. Make sure it is square in the vertical, NOW glue in the front former while the model is standing square on its nose. This will ensure your firewall is nice and square to the fuselage.
  5. Take the built-up wing and nest it in the fuselage. Square the wings to the nose/tail using the string/tape-measure technique . I used clamps to hold the wing to the fuselage.
  6. Take the front and back fuselage formers that you have left and glue them in position against the wing so the wing sits tight in the saddle.
  7. All done! Fuselage should be nice and square with the wings sitting perfectly square in the saddle.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
John M.
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

Darn, wish I could help more but it's been ages since I built one. From what I read you build one side completely with stringers and side keel before lifting it from the plans then it's rigid enough to put the other formers on using the first set as a guide and the side keel to put them at the exact 90 to the backbone.

Maybe I don't understand the problem you are having?
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

Thank you these are some great tips it helps a lot especially for those of us that never tackled these kits before. I was told that guillows kits are harder to build than most other rubber band kits.
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 2

Max, that's an excellent set of techniques. Should make for a very straight model. Thanks,

MAAC 19744
Wayne_K is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Glenn Nigh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

William, Max lists some great points and John is correct when he says to finish one side ( 1/2) fitting all the formers at 90 degrees to the keel pieces or as shown on the drawings.Put the stringers on the side. Leave the side dry or cure for at least a day. When you remove it from the building board it should lay flat on the board if it is placed there. If it does not there is tension in one or two of the stringers . This is what puts the twist in the frames as you go on the second side the same thing can happen. I start at the center and put a stringer each way to keep the fuselage from getting a twist. Hope you under stand what I'm saying here. You could have the same problem with many open frame type kits. I just finished a Pat Trittle Jenny and had the same problem, keeping it true. Guillows are great kits, I've built quite a few of them. You can convert them to electric easy too. Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Scott Crosby
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

I remember when I was allowance would just cover the cost of a Guillows kit.....I think I built almost all of them. I recently started collecting the kits I have boxes of Guillows kits. Thanks for the tips and the memories guys!

33%B-USA Fokker DVII/DLE85, 33% Deitchman Fokker EII/DLE111, 33% Weiss Fokker DR1/3W75, 33% B-USA Fokker Dr1/3W75 25% Cleveland Gotha G.V
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #17
RCC Contributor
I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

Thank you for the tips to constructing guillows kits. I want to convert one for indoor flying and I would like to make the P-47 into a parkflyer
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

Hi All,

Did a few Guillows' , did not like the heavy die-crunched balsa.
Prefered the KielKraft range. Same consruction. Keel/former/stringers.

From modelmags of the day, I learned that gluing in all the stringers on the first half, then removing from the board, the keel would bow. (think about it)
Guaranteed banana fuse.
The solution?
-glue formers to keel.
-dry place outer stringers, remove keel from board. It is delicate.
-glue other half of formers, dry fitting outer stringers.
-glue the outermost stringers, eyballing the keel being straight. Let dry.
-keel should be straight, so other stringers can be glued in pairs each side.

Use one eyball to judge how straight it is. It is amazing how something so delicate gets stronger as stringers get added !
Another tip I learned is to 'bend test' your stringer stock, the stiffer ones go where they are important, others go where appropriate. (bendyist is lightest)

I am blown away that I flew these things FF ! Literally and figuratively !

Go Figure ! I can now fly them R/C !
I am looking for the lightest Doculam covering, I can airbrush acrylics to for a 'Tissue' effect...
No poked hole tissue repairs, and no dope fumes?

I bet Paul Guillows never imagined that !
What a wonderful hobby we enjoy...

Take care,
Have Fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.