Top Flite Hollywood Zero - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #41
smoknrv4
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8
Re: Top Flite Hollywood Zero

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
How do you like to glass your models Dave? Weight of cloth and resin brand? Thanks

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
Maac#45310
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #42
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Only brand of cloth we can get locally, is hangar 9, in either 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz. I'm using 1/2 oz on the fuse, it's sheeted with 3/32 balsa, and doesn't need strength, more for hangar rash, and a solid base for paint. Wings are sheeted in 1/16th balsa, so using the 3/4 oz cloth. Really happy with their cloth to date. We're using epoxy finishing resin, great to work with, lots of working time. We lay out the cloth, after dusting the aircraft, and a light wipe down with a damp rag. Gently brush out any wrinkles, and cut with a slight overhang all around. Resin is lightly poured over an area, and then using old cigarette pack ends (nice rounded corners, won't hang up on the cloth, free, and disposable),spread the resin. Don't have to smoke, just ask anyone you know to donate the empty packs, then tell them they should quit. Anyways, I let the resin soak in for a bit, always working from wet area to dry. Once it's soaked in a bit, start the process of removing excess resin. It should look dull, but not white. Glossy means to much resin left over, white, means starved of resin, bit more needed. Dull flat appearance, means just right. I do one coat only. Leeann's first attempt on her Cessna 182 was perfect. One coat, minimal sanding required, no filler, and two coats of sprayed on primer, smooth as can be. First coat of primer will show any low spots, pinholes, etc. I fill with glaze and spot putty, Canadian Tire stuff. Once all that is done, we wet sand the primer, 400 - 600 grit. If any spots need a tiny bit of touch up, we do that, another light coat of primer, and wet-sand again, then she's ready for a thorough cleaning with a tack cloth, and paint. Hope that answers all your questions, if not, fire away!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #43
smoknrv4
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

Thanks Dave, appreciate your guidance, I've done plenty of glassing on models but never an entire model and paint. Mostly just to strengthen certain areas of airframe. But I've got a zeroli Stuka in queue and plan on glassing it entirely.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
Maac#45310
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #44
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I'd love to do the Ziroli Stuka at some point. Forgot to mention, using Z-Poxy, but there's lots out there, and any low viscosity epoxy resin will do the job.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #45
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

That kit sure makes you look like a professional builder.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #46
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Lots done, all the control surfaces have been built, flaps glassed, wing and fuse are fully glassed. Rudder, elevator and ailerons need to be hinged, then covered with fabric, prior to priming the aircraft. Now, if only I could find the eflite retracts I was sure I had set aside for this project! Once I've got a bit more done, I'll post some pics, and you can see the overall look, compared to the stock Harvard.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #47
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Quick shot of the wing, showing the leading edge mods, and rounded wing tips for the zero. In a day or two, I'll assemble the entire aircraft, and get some shots of the whole package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	763522  
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #48
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I forgot to get pics of the plane together. Top of the wing sanded, couple of coats of primer on, sanded some more, and then did some light filling with glaze and spot putty. Should be able to sand, and one more coat of primer, to finish off the top of the wing.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:55 AM   #49
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

This morning, installed the servo mounting plates, gave everything a light sanding, and first coat of primer. Topsides were sanded, a little bit more filling along the trailing edge. I'll get that sanded, and hopefully, final coat of primer on today. Once the wing is fully primed, plan is to take the Zero to the museum this weekend, where I can set it up beside our Harvard, and mark out panel lines, access panels, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	826898  
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #50
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Painting of the fuse is well underway! With the Japanese Green, she's really starting to look much more like a Zero, and less like an AT-6. Or should I say, much more like a Hollywood Zero!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	834114  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.