Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10
Re: Scammed? Greeekt

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've always employed the "if you can't afford to lose, don't play" attitude. I've sold way more than I've purchased here on RCC. Almost every time, I've shipped the sold item before the payment has arrived (due to the distance from the post office).

On electronic items, I've always though people were taking a chance. There is a reason why retailers won' accept returns on them. Only a immoral dirt bag offers something for sale that he doesn't even have in his possession.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #152
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

So Jason, where are you at with all this? Ever hear back from anyone you contacted.
Spektrum DX9, DX4S-Realflight 7
Align 250 DFC,Mini Vbar, YEP 18, S306G HV's
Align 500L Dominator, Vbar Silverline, YEP 90LV, BK 5001's and BK 5005, Switchblades
Goblin 380, Mini Vbar, Xnova 3215, YGE 90LV, BK 3001's and BK 5005. Switchblades
Blade 450x, every lynx/blade upgrade available--PARTING OUT(CHECK CLASSIFIEDS)
Techone Venus 3d, HK Clik and RC Foam Factory Click super-lite(still in box)
Losi Mini 8ight--Leopard LBP2838, HW 10BL60, BK 5001, Shumacher Rally's+Pins, Rhino 1050mah 40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #153
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Originally Posted by Billpilotca View Post
I agree with the above...........................................

My golden rule is treat others the way you want to be treated. I have had almost no issues with anyone I have dealt with on RCC. If I sold something to someone and they were unhappy for some reason I would tell them to send it back and I will refund their money. Not worth damaging anyone's reputation over $50 or a $100. I also use almost exclusively EMT and have no issues with it.

I am very sorry for the criminal that scammed the OP. I hope he gets caught and penalized severely . But I would not hit a fly with a hammer to solve a small problem.
Agree solidly

I had one occasion where I sold a transmitter to a person on the other side of the continent. The buyer let me know that the transmitter had a flaw that I was mot aware of. I refunded the full amount immediately as well as the cost of shipping it back to me. I apologized for the inconvenience I had caused him, had the fault repaired and asked if he would like to buy it. Agreed and did the sale all over again to both our satisfaction. Yes, it cost ME shipping three times but it was worth the satisfaction that the buyer was happy.

Hit the fly with the hammer, just as dead as with a swatter but harder to hit it with a hammer.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #154
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jason-MAAC#88569
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 6

Originally Posted by Billpilotca View Post
All you can do is use good judgement and be leery of new folks with very few posts and no track record. That being said I have also had success with folks who have less than 50 posts. I usually give the other person my email and they give me theirs and we often conduct a lot of the business offline.

This is exactly how I got burned, the criminal in question was very convincing and personal. He met every one of my requests, provided address, additional pictures, answered questions promptly in detail all through email.

In my mind there was no question that this guy was a real person in Alberta with a real radio for sale. Turns out he did not have anything.

Regarding your trading ethics, yes this my philosophy as well ten fold. I have even offered a full return on a used engine that a buyer was not 100% happy with (engine compression did not feel like how I described it). The person never sent it back to me but the offer will always stand.... Not just about reputation, but its also about conscience and feeling good about your actions and how you treat people in life.

Regarding others comments:
Allot of people here are taking the corporate statistics stance, ex - 10,000 employees renting cars, do we take the insurance coverage or pay for the rental car damages as they happen, which is cheaper...? This is much different its personal, its hurting this community and the trust / integrity of our trading medium. We are dealing with F'in crooks that should go to jail or rot, or maybe give up and find a real job. If you are interested in this vendetta then keep the ideas flowing! If you are viewing this purely from a fiscal loss / risk standpoint then you are probably wasting your time (aka more money) in this thread as yes its cheaper just to stay status quo.

gixerfien - Nothing back from the CFA or the Police yet. I don't know what their protocol is for discussing these types of investigations are, but so far I have heard squat!

As for the Radio, no good leads yet on another 14SG, might end up sticking with Spekky for awhile and get a DX9 Black if nothing surfaces, they are much easier to come buy on the second hand market and go for about the same price with the same features...

Windig89 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #155
RCC Contributor
I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 5

I'm not saying that it's not an issue, what I'm saying is that it happens and what could be out in place to help keep the scammers out without inconveniencing all other members? It's a tough one. Do we tell new members they can't post ads until xx post count? It's easy to build up a pointless post count quickly. Do we require members to pay for verification of address as suggested previously? I wouldn't do that when there are multiple other sites out there that don't require me to spend any money. Do we require verification through a credit card? I personally don't have a credit card and I don't think I'm alone there either.

The scams are a drag, and I do feel bad for you, but at the end of the day you have outed the thief and rcc has at least banned them. I have a couple of friends that were ripped off by an rcc member who has had multiple accounts, all banned, but is back here with another account. He has been good since as far as I know but those that were ripped off initially never received any retribution.

It is a difficult thing and I personally try to limit my purchases to local hobby stores and people that I know on rcc. I'm happy to say that in roughly fifteen years of buying and selling on rc sites that I have only had one transaction that I felt was misrepresented and it was a high dollar item. That is out of hundreds of transactions. I do feel sympathetic to the OP for sure, but I would just hate to see something implemented that affects the grand majority of the membership because of the wrong doings of a minuscule minority.

Just my opinion.
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #156
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

It's been a week since the last post on this thread....any news on the specific scam the original poster ran into?

I found this thread on rcgroups
that made some interesting points, totally apart from the PayPal which is headlined in the thread title, on scammers:

-typical indicators of a possible scan: seller is a new poster; offer is "too good to be true", the latter luring a possible buyer to let their guard down and make a quick buy so as not to lose such a good deal to another potential buyer

some ideas on how to further protect yourself or forum administrator to raise the protection level, based around verifying/tracing a the email address of a potential scammer

the intriguing idea that there are equally smart or smarter good guys out there that can track down scammers and "out" them

good luck,
Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #157
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jason-MAAC#88569
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 6

I received a voice mail from the investigators today while at work, I should have an update tomorrow after calling them back. Hopefully good news. Not holding my breath though.
Windig89 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #158
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Let us know Jason.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #159
RCC Noob
I am: Corny S
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
What about sending EMT and having a password. Once you've received your item you can send them the password?
Corny3g is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #160
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

Originally Posted by Corny3g View Post
What about sending EMT and having a password. Once you've received your item you can send them the password?
That's a great idea for the buyer, but the seller may not like this arrangement.

This happenned to a friend of mine last year, ordering some stage lighting from a seller on the internet.

The seller told my friend to EMT him the money, and he would ship the lights. He would send my friend the tracking number, and once my friend got that, he would supply the seller with the password.

Worked great, the guy got his money, and a few days later, my friend received an empty box!!

Some guys in the world have no problem sleeping at night, even knowing that they are scum bags.

The only totally secure way is face to face, cash in hand.

For the OP of this thread, I hope you get some resolution to this, but even if you don't get any of your dough back, I hope the cops find the other jerk and give him a good scare.... Fricken Douche Bag!
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.