RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
wood glue...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys,
question for the guys who use wood glue exclusively. I know the strength of wood glue on let's say....pine on pine.....but what about balsa on ply?
Just curious. I've been thinking of using wood glue instead of epoxy on my new projects and was wondering how it works.....on a firewall for example?

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
I use wood glue and have had no trouble. The best part is that it doesn't smell
Kevin Perry
MAAC 29876

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Do you use wood glue instead of epoxy?

Do you still use ca?
Dave S.

Did I just hit that tree?
scholz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

By "wood glue" I take it you mean real carpenters glue? You know the yellow stuff from Lepagge!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

Yellow Glue (carpenter's glue) or wood glue as you have called it is gr8 stuff. I use it almost for everything.... But no one glue is the end all. Many types of glue are available and should be used !!!

Yes. Cyanoacrylate (Glue Instant glue/Super glue/Krazy Glue) is used by most for everything..... and it is gr8 stuff. Remember how long we would wait for something to set up before we had this ?

Contact Cement is another glue I use all the time. (LePages Gell Contact Cement) I find is the best thing for laminating wood/wood or wood/to almost anything. Makes sheeting a wing or fuse a breaze.

As for your Fire wall and things like wing joints....... I'm sure most of the glues available would work for us........ Making sure everything is fuel proof.... But for me old habits are hard to break...... I use Two-part epoxy Cause I know it does it for me....

For most of your construction of a model.. (glue or what have you)personal choice is a big part of it.
I know guys that tell me my Contact Cement is too heavy..But I have prooved this wrong many times over...... for me anyway !!!
Brian Graham
MAAC 22269-L
Daredevil, Flying Fool and All-Around Good Guy
rcav8tor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I have been woodworking all my life (grew up in the field with my father, three years industrial woodworking in college and 8 years full time work experience). I think I have a good handle on glueing wood, and regularly use in my shop white pva glue, yellow aliphatic, polyurethane glue, epoxy (laminating and structural resins) and also contact cements and even a few others!

I can only offer what my own experiences have shown me. I think your typical industrial (lepage for example) pva glue (white or yellow) is an excellent all purpose adhesive for ANY wood to wood joint, that being solid wood (pine,basswood,maple, balsa),plywood or other materials we may use such as cardboard. The only thing to watch is that the joint is close, as PVA'a offer little gap filling qualities and the joint strength is greatly reduced if the parts are not tightly fit. Also, some aliphatics claim to offer a good gap filling property but having a tight joint is still important. I would not hesitate to use this type of glue on ANY part of the airframe that will not become in contact with water and other liquids repeadidly. The only disadvantage is drying time.

When it comes to epoxy, I use it where I need a long working time, where I need a very good gap filling quality, and of course when dealing with very porous materials. Epoxies are good for gluing allmost anything other than plastics (some types OK, many not good). I use epoxy resins to seal large area such as fuel tank locations, firewalls and also to laminate large areas where I need (1) longer working time and (2) water based glues would cause the skins to swell and buckle - not good. The big disadvantage to epoxy is the weight penalty and of course cost.

CA - I think many people misunderstand CA glue, and say its not good for plywood, its not good for spruce, etc. I use CA for structural repairs on furniture on over 30 spevies of hardwoods and also it is my most widely used glue I use for airframe construction. I have NEVER had a CA glued firewall become loose, or had a problem with gluing ply to harrwoods, etc. Many advantages for us with time constraints, many disadvatnages also, but I live with them! I go through aout 48 to 60 ounces of CA a year in my shop. I love the stuff! Its amazing what strength the stuff actually has...

Contact cements are OK for close fitting,non porous larger surfaces and locations where the parts are not under stress. It has a lot of "creep" if under load and is not a permanent bond like other glues, since it never hardens but remains rubbery. Usefull stuff but I dont personally use it a lot in modelling.

I have not used the newer polyurathane glues a lotm but what I have used inmy business, they appear to be pretty good glues for most if not all wood joints. They are also good for many platics and foam. The biggest disadvantage is that since theya re moisture-curing glues (the catalyst to start the glue cure is water) theya re not good for dry wood, and you must mist the parts with water. I am not yet sure how much moisture to add, and have had a few of my joints fail due to insufficient moisture wher ethe glue did not kick over. Still getting the hang of these..

The best way to learn about glue is to test scrap pieces of wood and try and break them! You will find with most glues we use, if not all, the wood next to the joint will fail long before the glue joint.

Andrew Coholic
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
Yup scaleguy, I meant the carpenter's glue.

Thanks for all the great info guys! That's what I love about asking a question here...lots of experience to draw from.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Derrick R

I just finally tried some Titebond II glue. I am not sure if I really liked it or not. I am too impatient when it comes to waiting and really have gotten used to the quickness of CA.....
Some guys swear by Titebond and some even use it on their firewalls. I would still rather good Ol' Epoxy on the firewall......

What's your thinking on Titebond?
MAAC #41076
Derrick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice

Aren't most wood glues water based? Wouldn't that cause warps in the wood? Other than alphatic resin.
I use very little CA mostly Sig's Alphatic Resins and 2 part epoxy for most of my projects but, 90 % of my experience is red and blue loctite!
I build Heli's
rcpilotsteve is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 AM   #10
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

Hello Andrew

Great "Glue Review", thanks.

Interesting to hear you use as much CA as you do for your "industrial" applications.

Can you tell use what brands you use, and /or, different formulas (thick, thin, flex, etc).

Thanks, Bob
Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.