This Newbie's Fleet! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
Hercplt
RCC Noob

I am: Rich
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2.5

Total Props: 0
Re: This Newbie's Fleet!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo55 View Post
Yup, I was right... that IS cool!

Is that the actual aircraft that you flew?
Not only is that the actual a/c that I flew... thats actually me at the controls!! We were conducting a search over Lake Simcoe and a local guy on the shoreline was snapping pics of us as we made passes over the area, he emailed them to us at the squadron... I think we would have been at about 300-500feet in the pics.
Hercplt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
cicopo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 16

A Have you bought & tried a Sim like Real Flight? It will save you $$$$$

B There are several very good clubs locally that will be happy to get you flying much quicker than on your own & you'll learn the safety rules too. If you attend any of the local Fun Fly events (we have many) you will meet a lot of great people.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
Hercplt
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

A: No not yet... just haven't gotten around to it. Right now I am enjoying tinkering with the models. Any versions that run on a iMac?

B: I haven't really found that I would have a lot of time avail generally speaking to make various membership costs worth my while. (equation of time avail vs cost) My plan is to simply find some wide open spaces and play a few times this year... thats it. Don't worry, I do get the safety rules etc...

Not worried about the $ if I crash etc... these were so cheap afterall. I understand it could be frustrating if I had thou$ands locked up in them... Thats not the case! I'll consider a club etc once I have more time to spend at a field.

My point here is I've heard the "Hey join a club" advice lots, and while it is sound advice I will wait a bit... though I do appreciate the advice...

Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
Hercplt
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Update! Working on the Super Sportster 40.
Engine in, electronics in, landing gear and wings done. New rudder and elevators being covered.
Once I get the grease off the fuselage that will be next.
All told, I might have $100 in this so far... and learning lots!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150705_215804_1436148530411.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	653673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150705_220041_1436148540561.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	653681  
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
Scrappy
RCC Contributor

I am: Alan H
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 3

Hercplt,

Keep at it, that Super Sportster from what I have seen will be a sweet flying & fun plane once you get the trainer days over with!

The club idea, even if you only fly a few times it is well worth the membership fee, just having someone experienced check over your plane's set up and a lesson or two will pay for itself! Crashing leads to frustration and this could turn you off the hobby.

Not to mention most clubs I am familiar with filled with great guys and I have made many friends by being part of a club!

Either way have some fun and keep posting up!

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
mikegrat
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
DX18 QQ Limited Edition
# of RCs: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercplt View Post
Update! Working on the Super Sportster 40.
Engine in, electronics in, landing gear and wings done. New rudder and elevators being covered.
Once I get the grease off the fuselage that will be next.
All told, I might have $100 in this so far... and learning lots!
Glad to see my old Super Sportster is getting a new life!

I get the advice everyone is giving you about joining a club and I get your point too about the time available etc.. I didn't join a club when I started (flying off the autorotation area at 403 Sqn in Gagetown) but I did get a simulator. Spent many hours on it until I could take off and land where and how I wanted. Same as the real aircraft.. You need to fly IT - not the other way around.. Made all the difference in the world.. To this day I've never crashed a plane due to pilot error while flying... I did lose a few because of bad setups where batteries died in flight or elevator control was lost etc.. THOSE are the ones that could have been prevented by talking to guys with experience..

Oh and super duper graphics and super accurate physics blah blah blah isn't required to just get the hang of it. Here's one for the Mac: http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=IKA3081004

Cheers!

Mike
33% Cap 232, 60CC Yak 54, 50cc Edge 540, 30cc Sbach 342, Falcon 120, Magellan E-XL, Trex 600N DFC, Trex 450 Pro FBL 3G, Trex 250 DFC, Blade 130X, Blade Nano CPX, AS3X Extra 300, UM 4-Site, UM SU-26XP, Walkera QR-X350 Pro, Durafly Auto-G2

Recycled at the toothpick factory
Thunder Tiger Trainer 60, 2 X H9 Ultra Stick 120, Hobicco Extra 300S, H9 Funtana 125, EFX Racer* *Don't let others fly your airplanes.

Last edited by mikegrat; 07-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.
mikegrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 AM   #17
Skerts
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jamie S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

+1 on finding a local club. Knowledge is king.
A good simulator is money well spent too.
Skerts is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Hercplt
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Everyone like pictures.... and of course an update!! Been a while... but made progress on the Super Sportster!
Maybe someday I'll have time to actually figure out the flying part... in the meantime fixing them is fun...

Also found another sportster that needs work... matching pair?

Blue one is not perfect... but the first one I have recovered...

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160809_195131.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1027001   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160809_195140.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1027009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160808_182538.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	1027017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160808_182526.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	1027025  

Old 08-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #19
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 64

Welcome to a great hobby!

In the interest of keeping you in this hobby I would like to reinforce what has already been said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercplt View Post
there's no better teacher than trial and error.
I started flying on my own too... in 1978, 2 very short attempts... gave up and sold the remains... 1982 another disappointing try, put the pieces in the closet... 1992 - 93 joined a neighboring club wanting to learn on a glider, no one had the time or interest for gliders, more broken dreams and birds... 1995 determined to learn, multiple broken planes, found like minded guys locally, formed our own club and built a field - all of us rank beginners - unbelievable carnage but we finally did it!

That is how the "trial and error" teacher taught me!

I noticed that you said "if I crash it"! No - no it's "when I crash it"! In fact we could get a lively little betting pool going here on how many seconds it will take!

I am very familiar with the Eagle II, there were a lot of them in our club when we started. It is basically a sound "sport trainer", one of those planes advertised as a "fully aerobatic trainer". We scattered them all over our field especially the ones with the hot .40 sized engines in them. Not a plane that self corrects for a "learn on your own" guy. It's a sweet 2nd or third plane UNLESS YOU GET SOME HELP IN FLYING.

I know this sounds very negative but I am not trying to discourage you, just save you from all the dark days I had going down the road you have chosen. Join a club? Ya, sure, good - but I get you! It can be very intimidating and you are not ready for that I sense, but DO get someone with experience to help you PLEASE!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #20
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 24

Please consider, even if you truly do not care if you loose a plane you are not showing much respect for the thousands of people that have spent endless hrs building relationships with property owners and townships to be able to have R/C fields . these planes fly high & fast and can travel a mile with ease , in the unlikely event you do get up and leveled off it will most likely fly out of sight before you figure out how to bring it around ..Not trying to knock your abilities,but please consider what is at risk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.