1\3 scale pitts - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gary A.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Brian, how are you? The plane that Bob described sure sounds like the one I got off you, doesn't it?.....Gary
ridergary is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:38 PM   #12
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

Last time I saw my plane it was at the Flying Dutchman fun fly, a few years ago.

I sold the Pitts to Mike Clemmens. He put a Super Tiger twin inline in it. ( I think it was a ST-6000) I think he had trouble getting the ST to run right.

I think he in turn sold it to some one else.

I will post a pic or 2 of it to one of my websites later

Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:35 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Nigel T

Total Props: 3
Sheber Pitts

I sold an old Sheber Pitts S-2 to a fellow I work with, and he put a ZDZ 80 in it. Unlimited vertical was the result. The G-62 wasn't really up to it at 28 lbs!

MAAC 6949

My ex-wife hates airplanes!
monocoupe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:55 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gary A.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40

Hey Bob....uploaded some pictures of my Pitts to the Gallery under users/ridergarys aircraft. Check it out and see if it looks familiar!...Gary
ridergary is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bill H

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by ronm
Bob: the S2 Pitts has a 20' span, 1/3 scale = 80".
The Great Planes is an S1, 17'4" span, 1/3 scale is about 68".

This is a real demonstration of how modern design has improved the weight of our models. With the power output of the modern engines, it's even better!

Great Planes Pitts is clone of old Pilot 1/3.5 S2-A kit which is 28.5% scale and the most scale S2-A kit ever to be marketed. It is a shame that the GP is confused now as a 1/3 S1.

S2-A 240inches(20ft)X.285=68.4"
S1-S 17'3"(207inches)X33%=69"

Convenient confusion and misinformation. The Christen Eagle is 19'11" and therefor a 1/3 of it would be nearly 80" as well. The Christen is just a 1/3.5 GP Pitts with the cowl canopy gear and pants that look like an Eagle. The empenage is reprofiled as well but it is not 1/3 scale.
My Dog lived to be walked.
ModelBuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
RCC Noob

GP 1/3 flies great with a DA50, but has ground handling issues on take off. Anyone tried installing a gyro to help with this? If so how did you go about it? Only ever put gyro's on the heli's and I am not 100% on fixed wing applications. Love the way this beast fly's on the DA in the air. Almost capable of a hover on a brand new engine, should do it no problem once broken in. Landings are not too bad for a short coupled plane, but loves the left side of the field on take off, almost not enough rudder if you ask me.

Wings and landing gear on order....

bgalye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brad M

Total Props: 5
1/3 pitts

Maddog Here ,I own a Andy Sheber pitts also , my uncle (ron metcalf) build years ago sold it about 8 yrs ago , build one out of foam borad light ply & foam wing.auw about 17 lbs with ST 3000!! This bird I would fly till dead stick then loop or roll before landing! Great plane it is still but now has many "bark- mark".I`ll drag it out for one last snap this week. Also have the Pilot 1/3.5 (all fame up) what are the odds? Biplanes you will love them more & more the more you fly them,get one or two !
maddog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #18
RCC Noob
I am: Bill H

Hey ModelBuilder I have one of those 1/3.5 scale Pilot S2-A planes and it fly's great on my OS 240 twin it's about 20 years old now been recovered twice it is about 24lbs with the smoker on board and it would flat spin forever if there was no ground to hit
BEER_BellyToo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 AM   #19
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I modified a GP Pitts this thread shows all of the modifications. I also had to change the cabane strut from aluminium to stainless steel. I did this because two of ones from GP cracked at the bends. At the end of the thread there are a few pictures of the finished plane.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #20
RCC Noob

Hello All

I am writing to you in the hope of obtaining a set of plans for the Pitts S2 Model... have searched extensivley but no joy till i joined recently. There are plenty of S1A around but i find the S2A/B more forgiving with it's longer moment. Would appreciate if you could contact me when convenient.

Kind Regards
Dominic Ryan
Dom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.