Nose heavy or tail heavy - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Donald T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Nose heavy or tail heavy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
In flight, how does a slightly heavy nose plane fly compare to a slightly tail heavy plane? Hopefully it is not too badly balance that you can bring it down and do some adjustments!
horwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: ROSS
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5
Re: Nose heavy or tail heavy

You would rather be a little nose heavy than tail heavy,the saying is a tail heavy plane only flys once.I.f its a little tail heavy you will notice your elevator becomes sensitve
frenzy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

LOL, not to make light of a serious situation ..... nose heavy is acceptable and little up elevator will allow you to bring it down safely.
Tail heavy ..... pray you have a whole lot of skill, lots of speed and a large throw on your down elevator ...... and you still may not make it down in one piece.
Tail heavy is a very hairy experience, one you don't want because the plane is unstable.
It's always best to be a little nose heavy the first few flights. At least you'll have a chance to get it balanced correctly.
MAAC # 81375 30 Planes and 2 Belt CP Helicopters a WK 4G6 FBL, v120Do2s FBL a Nine Eagles Solo Pro, a quad mini-pet, a quad WK Ladybird, and a quad WLT 959.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Tail heavy is awsum if your model fly's backwards.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

I had a plane that was very tail heavy. It was in pristine condition until about 30 seconds after it took off... then it suddenly became a pile of sticks.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Tail heavy is awsum if your model fly's backwards.

that's pretty funny Bill, in 40 years of doing the RC thing I can't believe I never thought of that!!
Trout Farm Flyers
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Tail heavy will cause the plane to be unstable on the pitch axis with you likely needing to give a lot of down elevator input to keep level flight and causing the plane to want to porpoise. It also leads to very uncontrollable flight and near disaster crashes.

On landing nose heavy the plane just wants to dip when you take it off power - tail heavy it will start to pitch upwards causing a further loss of airspeed causing an even higher nose up causing more loss of speed .... (it's a vicious circle that happens in seconds of less) ... end result .... tip-stall followed by a quick spin into the dirt or a fast plummet into the ground.

Try flying at landing approach speeds a couple 100 feet up and see what happens ... at least up there you have altitude on your side for recovery. The few times I've been in the situation the plane had to be flown at higher than landing speed right to the field surface and then cut power as the wheels touch the grass . If you're not up for that .... hopefully there is a nice area with really tall grass close by where you can ditch it relatively safely.

I agree with the other posters. Tail Heavy is a ..... Don't go there ....
"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Donald, find the recommended CofG. Preferably on the plans, or from the manufacturer.
This is the recommended starting point. A common theory is a little nose heavy is good a little more would better (safer). Start at the forward point of the recommended range. As balancing forward of that creates other difficulties. Eg increases landing speed.
Most of us, as we gain experience will start in the middle of the recommended range and work our way rearward. The more rearward, the more experience required. Or something like that.
Hope this helps.
And enjoy your hobby.

FishFly - FunFly, Sept 11-13. Great fun!
Trout Farm Flyers. Life is good.
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Scott Crosby
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Great advice Everyone. I also think the style of flying has a lot to do with CG. I like my 3D models to be super tail heavy, I have weights that I can put in the stab tube to adjust the CG to where I need it. On the other hand I like my WW1 models to be slightly nose heavy and not pitch sensitive.

"A nose heavy model flies poorly, a tail heavy model flies once"

33%B-USA Fokker DVII/DLE85, 33% Deitchman Fokker EII/DLE111, 33% Weiss Fokker DR1/3W75, 33% B-USA Fokker Dr1/3W75 25% Cleveland Gotha G.V
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

The centre of gravity should be between 23% and 33% of the "Mean Average Cord". That is any aircraft except a canard style aircraft.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.