Nose heavy or tail heavy - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12
Re: Nose heavy or tail heavy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Last tail heavy one I flew reminded me that the "Throttle" can be used as another control surface. Like mentioned before, set up the plane as per the instructions, get it up to a safe altitude and see how it flies. If it displays (some experience really helps here) tail heavy you have to find the throttle position where it flies like a plane.

I wouldn't wish a tail heavy flight on anyone, no matter if it is a foamy or a giant scale. Tail heavy is hard on the pocket book, and harder on the confidence.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derick
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis/Tactic TTX850

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
The centre of gravity should be between 23% and 33% of the "Mean Average Cord". That is any aircraft except a canard style aircraft.
Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly does this mean?
I have a cheapo Cessna 55" wingspan foamy that does not have the center of gravity in the instructions and can't find any information as to the correct C of G anywhere.
So what would be a good starting point?
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Scott
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 16

On a constant cord wing (no taper) measure the width of the wing, leading edge to trailing edge. This distance will be your cord. Then figure out what 25% would be from the leading edge. This will be your starting point for the CG. Another good rule of thumb, though not always, is that the CG will be on the main spar. Like the guys say check your instructions.

Example 24" chord 25% would be 6". so you CG will be 6" from the leading edge.

Scott
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

Here is the simple aircraft center of gravity calculator.

Or the full aircraft C.G. calculator.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Scott
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 16

Excellent link! Thanks!

Scott
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by horwood View Post
In flight, how does a slightly heavy nose plane fly compare to a slightly tail heavy plane? Hopefully it is not too badly balance that you can bring it down and do some adjustments!
Horwood
What kind of airplane is it?

Will
Team Great Hobbies
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
Zask714
RCC Apprentice

I am: Etienne
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

THere is a say, a nose heavy plane fly badly a tail heavy plane fly worst...
Zask714 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #18
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 12

Once!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10

Welcome to the hobby

Last edited by jsparky; 07-09-2016 at 04:58 AM.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #20
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

Wing and tail airfols, incidence angles, etc. do *not* influence the CG location.

The CG must be ahead of the aircraft neutral point in order for the airplane to be pitch stable. The aircraft neutral point is determined by the wing planform, the stab planform, the distance between the 1/4c of the wing and stab, and the effect of the wing wake on the airflow velocity at the stab (usually a small factor). Airfoils and incidence angles do not affect the CG location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
The centre of gravity should be between 23% and 33% of the "Mean Average Cord". That is any aircraft except a canard style aircraft.
This is just wrong. Most free flight gliders fly just fine all by themselves with the CG at 55% to 90% of the wing chord. And it is not because they have a cambered airfoil on the stab. A cambered stab will have lower drag if the aircraft configuration requires the stab to lift upward all the time. They would fly the same with a symmetrical stab airfoil, or even an inverted cambered stab, but the drag would be slightly higher. If a free flight glider is stable and flies fine with the CG at 90% of the wing chord, shouldn't an RC airplane of the same layout also be pitch stable?

http://www.johnanthonymodeldesign.co.../timeline3.pdf

Most RC sailplanes are flown with CGs well aft of the supposed "magic" 33%. They have long tail arms that move the aircraft neutral point back, and therefore for the desired static stability margin the CG will be well aft as well. And the stab on an RC sailplane typically lifts slightly up or down in different flight regimes.

This is the best CG calculator I know of (short of running AVL), and will handle almost any aircraft configuration. It will also allow you to move all the equipment weights around to forecast where the actual CG will be even before you build the airplane. I find it very useful, but it does take some time to understand:

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106300

An airplane with a large static margin (15% or larger, CG well forward of the aircraft neutral point), will be less responsive to the elevator, may run out of up elevator control for landing. Moving the CG back requires decreasing the elevator throw, since the elevator will become more powerful. An airplane with the CG at the neutral point may diverge up or down when disturbed, and will have no tendency to return to a trim speed. Most discus launch gliders are flown neutrally stable. A decent RC pilot can usually fly an airplane with decent pitch damping, like a sailplane, with the CG behind the neutral point.

The best test is to roll the airplane inverted, and see how much down stick is required to hold the flight path straight. A neutrally stable airplane will not require any down elevator input. A nose heavy airplane will require a lot of down stick. Aerobatic airplanes are usually tested on a 45 degree up-line.

A dive test also works, but is harder to interpret. Basically trim for a nice glide, and pitch the nose down. Release the elevator stick and observe how long it takes for the airplane to pitch up. If it pitches up quickly, it is very stable (forward CG). If it just continues along the line, it is neutrally stable (CG near the aircraft neutral point). From Dr. Mark Drela, famous MIT aero prof:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...GMarkDrela.htm

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stability.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	998561  
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.