Fondling turbines..... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2003, 06:21 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
the one I saw was a manual start anyways...I don't think I would even consider adding stuff that you could leave on the ground either...

I thought the Stingray was brand new...don't recall hearing anything about it in any of the forums before...anyways, if it is a rocket with a 54 size turbine, maybe the 44 will be a nice match!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Marc Thompson bought a stingray. There has been a lot on that plane in the RCU jets forum.

By the way, my Wren MW54 is semi auto start, and I have the electric start (but have the battery pack not on board). For the MW44 I believe they willhave a little starter motor on a wand that you will simply offer up to the compressor nut to start and then remove upon the start sequence.

I also posted above about the cost of a small jet VS a big jet (kit, not engine).
I know the cost of a small turbine will be as much or more than a larger one. BUT the airframe (and related costs like retracts, covering, servos, etc) will be so much less! Thats where the svings will come to play. Some guys dont buy into the small planes, thats OK but some like me do and thats where the smaller engine will be so neat. And never mind the possibility of twins...

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:43 AM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:

Hi Guys,

Here's my Stingray. Really good kit and I'm making good progress. My limitation is going to be the temp of my paint booth ( garage).

Who was showing the MW44 ? I have one on order because it's just so darn cool ! I firmly believe that it won't be a problem being on the bleeding edge of technology with this motor. When Wren starts shipping I'm sure that it will be fully developed with excellent quality control. Mike Murphy was telling me that they will have a mounted starter option for those who have internal installations. You could do an autostart set-up but I believe semi is the best way for a small aircraft wrt to weight and complexity.
Marc Thomson
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
747drvr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:53 AM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kevin M

I won't comment on how the Wren guys are planning on outfitting the MW-44 for start, but I'll throw in what I know about the SimJet 700 cofiguration. As I understand it the configuration in which I ran it last summer is to be the production configuration. As Andrew pointed out about the MW-44, the 700 is also spun up with an electric starting wand. (We've also requested an air-start port be added for those who still have compressed air gear.) The list of ancillary equipment is as follows: A micro ECU (about the size of a matchbox), a three or four cell ECU battery (depending on fuel pump brand), a fuel pump, and a servo controlled cutoff valve (as required). Because of the lack of solenoid valves and (in the case of a SimJet) a significantly smaller ECU, you will be able to comfortably install it in much smaller airframes.

As Marty pointed out, don't expect the cost to be significanlty less (if at all) than a similarly outfitted 12lbs class engine, but it will never-the-less open up some new doors. Because the installed weight is significanly lower than with a 12 lbs class engine, I'm certain a whole new host of single and twin airframes will be seen in the coming years that will be very much at home to be flown in your local flying fields.
Kevin McLeod
...With enough thrust, lift is irrelevant!!!
KevinM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:08 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor

Jet Hanger Hobbies had it on display as well as a 54 and a 54 kit.

I must have been sleeping or somethin' I missed all the posts about the Stingray, and I go to the RCU forum a couple times a day.... I thought it was a brand new release. Oh well, voyage of discovery........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.