OS 40LA or 32F - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2003, 08:41 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Stan M
# of RCs: 12.

Total Props: 0
OS 40LA or 32F

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am rebuilding a trainer, sort of bashing an old GP PT40.
I have an OS 40LA and a 32F. Are these engines for the most part interchangeable? That is, aside from the dimensions, can the 32F be expected to perform better than the LA? The weight is approximately the same, and the published HP of the 32F is a little higher than the 40. Recommended prop sizes overlap.
Am I missing something?
"Beware the man who doesn't make time for oo-mox."
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #223
smark is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have run many OS engines over the years,and still own half a dozen including a 40LA.This is a reliable,relativley cheap,easy starting unit,but its tuned very mildly,doesnt use ball bearings and is no powerhouse.If your other engine is a ball bearing unit it probably does develop as much thrust as the .40 with less displacement.
Dont pay too much attention to manufacturers horsepower claims......these are often exagerated or represent a peak reached with high RPM and a small prop,which has little bearing in the real world,especially with begginer type engines and planes........IMO.
Maybe another reader knows more about your .32 unit and will chip in......

IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

I have an OS40LA on my sons trainer. Good running engine. I run mostly Heli's myself! I have a few 32F-H engines. Probably the same as your 32F with a Heli head etc etc...... so a comparison between yours and mine would be fair. I break the ringed engines in on the bench with a prop. (Yes, Andrew even the new .32SXH ringed ) I can tell you the 32 swings a 10x6 prop a lot easier than the 40 does. I switched to a 12x6 on the 32 and I still have to watch the RPM. I would say the .32 has at least 30% more power over the 40LA. My sons 40 is a great runner, it does everything we need it to do. It is a bit sluggish down the grass runway though.
Hope this comparison helps......
rcpilotsteve is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

I have also run the 40 fp and la engines, and also the older OS 32 and newer 32 sx engines (and the 34 super tigre which is close to the os 32 in output) and I have to say the little 32 heli engine is a brute! It will easily fly a 40 size trainer with authourity allthough my prop of choice is a 10-5 APC on the 32 engines, while I like the 10-6 or 11-5 on the 40's.

Either will do the trick, I'd use the LA 40 and save the 32 for something like a profile fun fly that will benifit from the lightweight power plant.

Also, the 32's runs AWESOME on a mousse can muffler if you havent tried one you should. More power (1000 to 1500 rpm increase) and they are also a very effective muffler.

Andrew Coholic
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Stan M
# of RCs: 12.

Heli engines

Thanks for all the comments guys.
What is the difference between an airplane engine and the heli version, besides the head cooling fins? The 32F came in both versions, mine being the airplane version, but are they essentially the same?
"Beware the man who doesn't make time for oo-mox."
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #223
smark is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

I'm not overly familiar with these particular engines (I sold the 32 with my Nexus heli and I traded my LA after 2 flights) but, generally the increased cooling fins and a different carb (more linear throttle response) are the two main differences. Plus mufflers are not generally included with most heli engines.

MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
They are essentially the same. Same crankcase , same Carb etc etc. However the internals are slightly different !!!! Heli engines have to put up with a lot more abuse.......
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
RCC Contributor

OS .32 or .40 LA

Alos on this topic, the .40 LA has two transfer ports in the sleeve which open later. The .32 has three larger transfer ports which open sooner, thus more BHP.
There is no such thing as a landing, it's a controlled crash.
Jim West MAAC 22948
kersplat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice

32 engine...

If you are referring to the 32SX then I would say go for it! It will turn a 10-6 prop over at the same speed as my 40FX, is lighter, quieter, and uses less fuel. It is very easy to adjust and puts out tremendous power for such a small quiet engine! OF course you do pay mucho extra for it!
Sometimes your plane catches the wind. Sometimes the wind catches your plane!
Fastsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.