4.8 vs. 6.0v battery - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Rodney L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
4.8 vs. 6.0v battery

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys or people i should say! While reading the most recent Tower Talk, it gives 2 ratings for servo voltage.(4.8&6.0volts) Does this mean i can take my 4.8v reciever pack and add one more cell to get more torque and speed out of my servos? :
rulast1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Yes, thats correct. I use both (abotu half and half) 4 and 5 cell packs. % cells with give faster responce and higher torque, but the drain will be higher also. So a 600Mah 4 cell pack on the same plane will last longer than a 5 cell. Just make sure you remember to charge the pack on the 5 cell setting, and vis versa. It sucks to charge a 4 cell on the 5 cell setting as you will overheat and damage it. Been there done that!

Some radio gear doent like 5 cells, however, (some JR servos and some gyros) so be sure to check with the manufacturer specs before you go for the extra cell.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: Rodney L
Radio of choice:

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Had not put enough thought into this. Forgot about charging 4vs5 cell pack. Thanks again.
rulast1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Don Bright
RCC Apprentice

4.8v - 6v

I've been flying giant scale for about 15 yrs and have always used 6 volt for them. Accually started back when flying 60 - 90 size. I notice a differance with 6V in responce time and its always nice to have a little more torque. I usually run 1700 ma pack and with gaint servos or higher power regular size I'm still good to fly most of the day unless out at fun-flys, where I sometimes quick charge things when I go for lunch. Now a couple of my bigger planes - where I have a fair amount of money into them I'm putting in two receivers, two switches and two batterys, one running each side of plane. I figure theres a little bit of redundancy for a $150 cost. Last spring had a battery cell crap out in a 2 mth old pack. Didn't notice anything wrong until I landed and noticed one side moving real slow. With only one of, I don't know if I'd have made it down in one peace.

Don MAAC # 6675
Don Bright is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV

I have used both 4 cell and 5 cell airborne packs. There are postive and negative things to each setup. Do you need more torque/transit speed or do you want longer battery life with less wear and tear on equipment?
I am sticking to 4 cell this year ...one reason is that I think it is much easier to take care of the batt packs.
Kevin Perry
MAAC 29876

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.