building custom mufflers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
building custom mufflers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I wish to build a muffler for an O.S. Max .25 LA to hide it inside a cowl. Are there any guidelines for designing your own muffler? What about size of the chamber? Where does the pressure nipple go?
I'm planning to silver-soldier sheet brass (.060") together. I guess the design will be similar to a Bisson "Pitts-style", however it's going into a 1/12th scale P-40 warhawk combat airplane.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
greg is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Silver brazing brass shimstock will be fine and if you keep the brass sheet thin, it will be fairly lightweight.

For volume, I would take an average muffler for that engine and measure it. If it is a funky shape just fill with water and see how many ml you have, that is the same a cc's and then you can figure the volume you need.

Keep the pressure nipple anywhere in the main chamber, ie not on the exhaust stack going into the muffler.

As for exhaust tubes, again measure a bought muffler. You cant go wrong with a proven design!

Show us some pics when you get it done...

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

thanx for your reply.
what you said about measuring an existing muffler and copying the chamber's dimensions is something i considered doing. the only confusing bit is that i have two O.S. .25's and one of them (the older one) has a much smaller muffler which i thought was a bit strange. how much does the size of the chamber affect the performance of the engine?
as for the exhaust tubes, i was considering 6 small ones coming out of the chamber to approximate the look of the exhaust pipes of an actual p-40 warhawk. i wonder what that will do to performance?
greg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
The newer muffler may have a baffle inside to quiet it down even more, where the old one wouldn't.

Just a thought.

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Just a few more Ideas

Be careful with putting to many exit pipes you will still want to maintain some back pressure to use for fuel tank pressure. One way that I use to tell if my muffler design is ok is to break in the engine on a test stand with the stock muffler. Get it running perfect. Note the rpm. Put on your muffler and compare it. Up to a 500 rpm drop at top end is acceptable. If you have to increase the fuel flow at top end be careful this is an indication that the engine is running hot and you need more fuel to keep it cool. The larger the exhaust volume the quieter it should be. The volume size as long as it doesn't restrict the engine is not as important as you would think. Slim line makes a very efiecient line of 2 stroke exhaust systems that are very small but they are not that quiet. Build what will fit, alter the outlet diameter till you get it to run as close to the stock muffler both in fuel settings and rpm and live with the sound.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.