Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2003, 05:52 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Well........way back in 1960.........

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was six and we lived by the Windsor Airport. My dad had taken me and my brother to see the local flyers from the Sun Parlor Club flying some planes, when one crashed into the side of our car( 49 Plymouth). It was twice as long as me and big ( they had to be big then to carry all the heavy radio gear I suppose). When my dad picked it up and handed over the fence to the flyer I was amazed from that point. When I got older, I got one of those dang C/L COX pt19s and spent more time starting it than flying it. I think I made one full turn. Then in the teens, came the Gullows era, then in 1979 I bought my first R/C, spent 1 year building a 60" Spitfire and noticed that one wing was 3 inches longer than the other. Dang, I bought another C/L.Scrapped it.
Gave up until 1995 and got the first (of many) PT40 kits. The rest is history. Now in stage two....sport low wing, scale, and Bipes.Eventually the 5 jets will get built and flown......if I get the time and place to fly 'em.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:39 PM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba T7C 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
l just remembered a funny true story that happened to me a number
of years ago. Before l said l started with C/L before R/C, my buddy and l
took our planes out my Ringmaster and his FliteStreak. He insisted l fly
his FliteStreak so we fired up the Fox .35's l signaled him to release and
away l went. You have to back up on take off to keep your lines tight
and control, well as l did in all my glory l tripped over my own big feet there l was flat on my back the plane screaming towards certain
death and my lines tangled and slack All l saw was my
buddy cover his face with his hands and mumble NO.
ln desperation l just grabbed the lines and yanked as hard as l could
no crash the plane pulled straight up only a few feet off the ground.
l got on my feet leveled it out and finished the flight
l never flew it again, figured l used all 9 lives, we still sit down and have
a few and laugh about it today some 25 years later.
ratherbflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
When you mentioned the Ringmaster it brought back memories so here is my story.

Dad was into CL when I was in a stroller, very early 60's, for about 2 years. Never carried on with it though.

When I was 15 that old Ringmaster was in the attic of the garage, after about 10 moves, so I said to him "why don't we get this thing out and fly it?"

So after fiberglassing the wing we took it down to a clearing by Lake Ontario (At the time we didn't know we were about a Mile from the Oshawa RC Club).

After about 5 revolutions on the ground it finally got into the air (It was about 10 lb's with a 35 in it).

When it finally ran out of fuel there was a truck pulling up to where we were, A gentleman by the name of Bill Beamish got out and said he hust came over to see what we were doing.

Turns out Bill ws a member of the RC club and was worried that someone else may have been trying to fly RC in the area, when he found out what we were doing he told us to come over and see what they were doing.

Well that was the beginning, within 2 weeks we had a plane and were members.

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:13 PM   #14
Bearly Flying
RCC Apprentice
I am: Don F
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 1
So do you Guys remember having this Look on your face?
Bearly Flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:45 AM   #15
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Some of you guys like Moss who has been in this hobby longer then most
I have a OS 80h FAi engine laying around here somewhere that was made around 1970, dual plugs and rear carb

And it will start without a ignitore sometimes

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:52 AM   #16
Dan Nadeau
RCC Contributor
I am: DanN
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

I built thousands of plastic models when I was a kid. then in 1967, I saw a F/F rubber kit in the local Kresgee's store and on the box it said "Really Flys". I bought it and started building my first balsa kit. Soon after, I ran into a teen flying C/L in a nearby ball field. He was from Toronto visiting relatives. I went and asked him about his plane and he then introduced me to engines (.049), magazines, dope etc. from then on I flew C/L .

In 1972 I met a British fellow named Peter Cliff who had moved to town. We became good friends and he showed me how to really fly C/L stunt and combat.

I bought my first R/C in 1979 and had little success trying to learn by myself. After graduating from College the following year, I moved to Sault St. Marie and a crazy bunch of flyers down there taught me how to fly R/C.

I don't mean you Cecil and Craig........On second thought....yes I do!

Today, I still fly F/F, C/L and R/C

Isn't this is a wonderful hobby!
If a little is good and more is better, too much is just right!

Dan Nadeau
MAAC 14079
Dan Nadeau is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:39 AM   #17
Don Bright
RCC Apprentice

my story

I started out when I was 7 or 8 in f/f and gliders. Got an .049 for xmas and started flying lines - ya I had a flite streak[baby] and ringmaster too. Many others did I build and fly as well. Got to the point of contest flying for many years. Flew rat and goodyear racing, stunt and some combat. Worst day I had, landed one plane on top of the other 2 I took out that day and destroyed all 3 in the process. I don't know why I still rember that. The one I landed was a spit, one of the others was a nobler, don't remember the other. Wish I could say those were the only ones I rekitted but sh.... happens. Ended up with a good number of trophys, some friends and several scapebooks of memeries. Had to get out of hobby when about 25 due to wife and then kids. Took about a 15 year sabatical and now have been flying r/c for 25 years or so and love building and flying. Now it seems like I spend some time instructing, and some time flying. During summer we {wife and I] spend the long weekends and some weekends tripping to various fun flys and events around the province. Started getting into imac last year and will get to some imac events this summer. Too much fun, and the planes just keep getting bigger - think I've just about reached my limit, I won't be able to get them in the truck. Anyway thats my story.

Maac # 7765
Don Bright is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.