RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Killayaw
RCC Noob

I am: Jim

Total Props: 0
Googles worth it?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting into FPV. Are the googles worth it vs just using a monitor of some sort?
Killayaw is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
Re: Googles worth it?

depends.

generally yes. The good ones are immersive, decent resolution. They block out the light so you see the screen very well, unlike monitors in sunlight. Very convenient with the built in receivers and headtrackers. And especially if you want to use a headtracker, you are forced to use goggles.

However plenty of folks fly with monitor. Even myself sometimes.

Have the option for some real inexpensive but usable goggles these days - right down to $40 from Hobbyking. But be careful - some of the low end Fatsharks and other low res goggles not a good buy at all.

The all in one goggles like the Fatshark Dominator and attitudes and the Boscam AIO are a great way to have your whole ground station in a lightweight small package, less hassle to carry around.

If you fly a miniquad racer or something aerobatic the goggles become more necessary. But if you fly a big quad for making movies, a screen might be the better option.

But goggles have downsides too. You can't switch to LOS flying in an instant, unlike with a screen. So more need for a spotter. You can't share the live video with folks if you just have goggles. Goggles are kind of more expensive, can be $500 or more for the best ones. Goggles will not work for x% of people who have fairly extreme prescription eye glasses.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Killayaw
RCC Noob

Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure what type of FPV flying I'll be doing. Probably not racing. I'm thinking more of just cruising around and looking at things with the kids.

How is eyestrain with the goggles? I do wear glasses, but I'm nearsighted. So, I think it would be okay.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killayaw View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure what type of FPV flying I'll be doing. Probably not racing. I'm thinking more of just cruising around and looking at things with the kids.

How is eyestrain with the goggles? I do wear glasses, but I'm nearsighted. So, I think it would be okay.
The best thing to do is find someone with a set of good googles and try them out. You will tell right away if they are for you.

I have both googles and a 19" daylight monitor(for hard core FPV). In the summer, I use the monitor all the time except for some mini multi flying. Easier to take just the googles then the monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00060.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	618033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00061.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	618041  
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

I use a 7" screen mounted on my transmitter.

If you get a good one daylight visibility is less of an issue.

You can very quickly transition from FPV to LOS.

One thing to consider is that some people get motion sickness from googles and it really depends on the person so see if you can try both before you buy.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Killayaw
RCC Noob

Cool.. thanks for the ideas. I'll need to try some out. I'll probably go with a monitor for now.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
calone76
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: calone76
Radio of choice:
JR XP9303 w/many modules
# of RCs: 3

I have Fasharks and had used a 19" TV before. Stick with the goggles as I like to have less to carry to the field.
A Monitor or a small LCD TV requires pedestal/tripod, frame or another chair like posted on above picture by BuffyTheSaint.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

I have my screen mounted to my TX it has a built in battery and diversity RX. Everything I need to fly fits in a tool bag.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Wendingo
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Wendingo
# of RCs: 2

If you are on the fence I would try the Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set. $30 American gets you everything you need except for the Video RX. You can get one like the SkyZone RC32S for $35 american.

It's not as clean as the Fat Sharks that go for as much as $400 CDN but it's a fully functional FPV goggle set for under $100.
Wendingo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
mjohnson
RCC Contributor

I am: MJ
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4

Googles give me the giggles!

I love my Fatshark V1's. Feels like you're right in the thing. I have an Eagle Tree OSD system on my Bixler fixed wing but no OSD on my 250 racer. I actually prefer the clean image. I just set my tx timer for when it is time to land.
mjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in