Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Fernando G
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Tower Hobbies 46

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey does anybody know anything about the tower hobbies 46? apparently lots of power, 1.75 hp, GMS alike muffler,but made in China, someone told me OS manufactures them,..??
" Its always better to be at home and say : I should've gone to the field,- than being at the field and say : -I should've stayed at home- "
Rowarrior is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I recall seeing a few turn up on student's planes about 5 years ago. I don't recall thinking of them as a "deal" even though they were much cheaper than the OS at the time....
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor

many of the engines coming out of the orient are OS knockoffs...I guess they figure why reinvent the wheel? .. There are a couple that have some original engineering and design, but a lot of them are just copies with, or without, minor changes.

I stay away from economy engines. I have spent too many perfect flying days on my knees trying to get cheap engines to run (or even start), that I figured it was better in the long run to spend a few extra bucks on the front end and get a reliable, quality engine that will start and run ever time. This theory has proven itself (to me, anyways) time after time... I still see guys getting frustrated with unreliable engines and going home without flying ( or maybe half a flight and a dead stick). Almost every time the engine is one of those cheap clones.

Anyways, my 2 cents worth, your mileage may vary..........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brian C

I have the GMS 47 and my buddy has the Towers 46, they are exactly the same. same muffler, carb, size of head and shape. if they are not built in same place i would be very surprized. both run well and are strong, but as already mentioned the quality is not there and you must like to tinker. we have about 3 gallons through ours now and both still work great. But i like to tinker.
Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
RCC Contributor

I am considered the "TUNNER" at our field and I have a lot of experience with them ... yes they do have LOTS of power but I have seen some real duds come out too. They dont take too many lean runs either, usually just a couple and thats it!, The machining is not that great, I have taken some apart and on some of the engines, the porting is missmatched to the sleeve, I am sure if somebody wanted to bother buying one new, take one apart, and very carefully with a dremel etch away to align the ports etc, then you would virtually eliminate the "duds" , I have done that to a ASP 46, ground out the exaust port on the slleve to match the exaust port on the case etc, and WOW, it sure livened up the engine!

Basically , you get what you pay for, take the same engine though and run them with a standard OS/TT muffler and you loose a lot of that power, take the GMS/tower muffler though and put it on an OS 46 ... and WATCH OUT!!!!!
plncrzy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:03 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Fernando G
Radio of choice:

Wow, well im getting lots of good info here, the thing is i sold this brand new Tower 46 to a fellow around here, for $136 buks canadian,brand spanking new, but he is a rookie, never flown but ran many car engines before, so he knows about being ABC,etc etc, i mean ,i sold it cheap,but i dont want him to have any kind of trouble
hey but that about the muffler! thats a great tip there! OS and GMS muffler eh?
" Its always better to be at home and say : I should've gone to the field,- than being at the field and say : -I should've stayed at home- "
Rowarrior is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:31 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
For what its worth, I have owned a few "cheaper" engines like thunder tigers, ASP, Magnum, ect. I have no personal experience with the GMS line but a few of the guys in the club like them.

I think (again my opinion) that there are no "DUDS" in todays engine market. All engines sold today will run, some better than others, but set up and broken in properly you shouldnt have a problem. Actually, my ASP 40 was one of the easiest hand starting, best idling engines I ever had. True! Since 99% the engines today mass produced are on CNC equipment you dont have the issues you did with poor machining quality like in the past (10 15 years ago). Some small things like needle valves not sealing properly, arise but generally you should have a runner.

I have heard many favourable comments regarding the Tower engines.

Personally I still think it best to buy as much engine as I can afford, but sometimes a fellow cant spring for the top of the line.

I have seen first hand "experienced" modellers have MANY problems setting up ever brand of engine (OS, Saito, Webra, etc all top brands - heck, even Jett!) for whatever reason (wrong plug, prop, bad fuel, inexperience) and they blame the "lousy engine"... thats not fair.

Then again, I have had some engine problems myself, setting up a particular Super Tigre 40 comes to mind, and sometimes you may get a lemon but I think its wrong to call the entire line garbage...

Remember, if you get a lemon from a hobby shop, you have a warranty to fall back on. If you are doing a private sale then you are on your own!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba T7C 2.4
# of RCs: 5

l stick mostly with OS and just bought a Saito 91, had one STigre
and on impulse a GMS 61 which does run well with pretty good
power IMO Tower GMS etc take the best points of
the established engines, copy them in a cheaper version and
offer a less expensive but shorter lived engine. Where the risk
comes in is in a higher % of lemons and more fussy to set up.
There is a market for the cheaper engines, and it makes
our hobby more affordable for beginners, for myself with all
the $$ and time in building l will go with dependability up
front. There is other ways to cut expenses.
ratherbflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #9
RCC Contributor

engine quality

I agree with AJCoholic. With today's CNC machined engines, there are no "duds". Remember OS still uses nickle plating on their "ABC" engines. Except their expensive Car and ducted fan engines. There are many engines coming out of the far east with true Hard Chrome on their brass sleeves which is way longer wearing and will withstand the use of the total synthetic oil -based fuels on the market. Oh yeah , even Fox now uses CNC machining processes on their engines. I have two Fox .15 schneurle BB's, one with a hand lapped traditionally machined piston and sleeve and one with a CNC machined piston and sleeve. The one with a CNC machined p/s has a better fit and has a better wear pattern. Also this engine broke in faster than the older version.

Jim West, Engine collector in Trenton ON.
There is no such thing as a landing, it's a controlled crash.
Jim West MAAC 22948
kersplat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.